HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Good Encore bullet? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/345621-good-encore-bullet.html)

mfonts 06-12-2011 08:10 AM

Good Encore bullet?

Has anyone had good results using powerbelt bullets in their encore pro? I currently shoot shockwave and have a hard time loading the 2nd and 3rd round without cleaning in between shots,using 100 grains of triple 7 powder.

txhunter58 06-12-2011 08:53 AM

I always swab between shots with any bullet when using 777. Powerbelts might be slightly easier to load without swabbing, but you are giving up a good bullet for a questionable one. If you don't want to swab between shots with your Encore, switch to BH 209. Have shot as many as 30 shots at one session without swabbing once.

mfonts 06-12-2011 09:10 AM

bh209

Do you think the 777 is one of the "dirtier" powders? I have never heard of the bh209 but will definitely give it a try, I really like the way the shockwave groups with a good knock down power, THANKS!

EndeavorShooter 06-12-2011 09:22 AM

+1 on keeping the shockwave and using BH-209. works great in my encore.

bronko22000 06-12-2011 10:53 AM

You could do as suggested with the more expensive BH209. But if the T7 is working for you, then you might want to consider Pyrodex. Not as clean as BH209 but not as dirty as T7. You can also replace those sabots that come with the shockwaves with some Harvester crush rib sabots for easier loading. The come in black for .451" bullets like the SW or .45 cal pistol bullets or green for .429" bullets like the .44 XTP.
I've found that the sabots that came with the SWs were not consistant. Some would load easily and others would be hard to get down the bore.

HEAD0001 06-12-2011 10:59 AM

Your problem is not unique to you. I have seen a few Encore's that do the exact same thing. Along with a couple of Omega's as well.

I had a tack driving Omega that you absolutely could not load a second load into. Period, it would not take a second load.

Unfortunatley you are going to have to try alot of different projectiles to find one that hopefully will load the second and third shot without a complete cleaning.

Unfortunately we had a couple that no matter what we tried, the rifle would not allow a second and third shot. And as a hunting rifle I find this unacceptable. Even though an MZ is truly a one shot firearm.

We did find a few different sabots and such that would load the second and third shot-but then the accuracy fell off with that projectile.

Personally the best we did was cast a pure lead larger conical that was slightly undersize. The lead obturated well and also shot well. So if youcast your own bullets there is a solution. Or you can get ahold of a cutom caster and have them size the bullet for you that they pour. But be prepared to pay that price.

Personaly I really like my Encore. And I have three actions, and a bunch of barrels. But no more MZ's barrels. I have had three diffrent MZ's barrels. And had problems with all three. Now I realize this is highly unusual, but the truth is the truth. And the problem you are having is a well known problem for TC's. Tom.

mfonts 06-12-2011 12:59 PM

I tried the pyrodex with the same results still hard to load the second shot. But I will try the harvester crush rib sabots. Is this just the plastic sleeve you are replacing or is this another bullet/sabot combo?

builder459 06-12-2011 01:29 PM

If swabbing for a second shot is a problem, them BH 209 is the way to go.as far as bullets are concerned,.250 gr deep curls,Barnes TEZ,Lehighs and even XTP's are good choices,with 100-110 gr bh209 or 777

MountainDevil54 06-12-2011 01:36 PM

Get rid of that triple crudring powder and go find some blackhorn209.

Head, thats a pretty stock, i like that dark color with the swirls. very pretty.

lemoyne 06-12-2011 02:39 PM

I shoot Blackhorn in my Encore all day and never worry about cleaning, when I tried "crudring 777" I could only get one shot and scrubbing out the crudring took so long and was so difficult that I usually gave up after 3 or 6 shots. Pyrodex is also a good powder you need to clean after several shots but at least its work able and easy to clean. 777 works for some but if the truth be told I believe it is a small percentage like maybe 30%. Those it does not work for either find something else or quit.