Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future? >

Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future?

Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future?

I love my Kinght rifles for several reasons:
1) I appreciate the incredible accuracy I have realized with both rifles.
2) The double safety gives me peice of mind.
3) The fit finish and handling is like that of a quality centerfire rifle.

If there is a downside to my Knights, it is that they require more attention and time when cleaning. In fact I believe that it is this cleaning time factor that has lead to the popularity of break-open designs.

Now that Knight is back in the market with bolt actions (hopefully with sucess) do you think we will start to see other companies introduce new bolt action designs?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually there are more reasons than the one you mentioned. Some of us who have shoot and like bolt cartridge guns do not see any logic in a bolt muzzle loader the bolt takes up space that could be well used by a longer barrel and adds weight to no purpose. I have had Knights and they are a fine accurate rifle but they do not shoot any better than several other high quality rifles in the same price range, just as good but no better. I have been shooting an Omega and a Triumph ever since they have been on the market, like all the other guns that I have had I did a bit of tuning on them. They have had many cases of powder through them and shoot just as good as the did after break in and tuning. All guns shoot some loads better than others including the Knights and I did a bit of tuning on the Knights to so the differences as far as as the good points go just are not there. I think the bolt guns will be around a long time because some people will always prefer them and that's their right but I think the majority of shooters are looking in other directions.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dutch

I would certainly hope so... although at my age probably would not make a lot of difference. I much prefer a bolt for many reasons over a break open. I even prefer a drop action like an Omega over a break open.

I really do not find any difference in cleaning between Knight with a Lehigh conversion and a break open.

Guess I just prefer the durability of a single one piece stock with with a solid barreled action.

Just my 2 cents, and I know I am probably in the minority...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

I myself prefer the bolt type such as the KNIGHT over the break actions, but thats my oppion.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also prefer a crisp, adjustable trigger and like the Disc system...It sure makes it easier to drop a disc with a primer in the bolt and close it than to mess with those small 209 primers and finding the hole they go in...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader

You bring up additional good points. I also prefer single piece stock. In centerfire rifles there is an accuracy advantage. At least to those who can take advantage of it! I dont see any rifles without a single piece stock in benchrest.

However I admire the TC break open designs as well. My hunting partner uses an Encore ML with great sucess.

Like any industry, there are technology innovators (Knight, TC) and followers. I wonder if Knights reintroduction to the market will spark the technology followers to make bolt models in the future.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seriously doubt that other companies will jump on the bolt action band wagon. as stated there heavier and indeed take a bit more time to clean.in the end consumer demand is what counts and it just isn't there for bolt action M/L's. light weight M/L's and center fire rifles both, are in high demand and break action M/L's fit the bill.Ray
Old 05-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Dutch
sabotloader

You bring up additional good points. I also prefer single piece stock. In centerfire rifles there is an accuracy advantage. At least to those who can take advantage of it! I dont see any rifles without a single piece stock in benchrest.
I agree, even though there are break open centerfires their popularity is very limited.

However I admire the TC break open designs as well. My hunting partner uses an Encore ML with great sucess.
I have a triumph also. but it mostly collects dust. Once durnig a late winter hunting season in cold weather rain-snow-slush. The action froze on me could not even get the hammer back to get a shot on a nice buck. But since that learning episode I have figured out a fix for that. I remember it happening to my Winchester 30-30 once when I was a very young kid.

Like any industry, there are technology innovators (Knight, TC) and followers. I wonder if Knights reintroduction to the market will spark the technology followers to make bolt models in the future.
Production is still driven by demand, and the break open seems to be the easy way out for most these days.

One other thing... I really dislike the motion and action of pulling a hammer back to shoot, at least with a Knight Vision you do not have to do that and you have a real safety...

I am sure Knight will re-introduce a break action in the future also.

Last edited by sabotloader; 05-29-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

I just like the bolt better theres less moving parts to ware out and over a long time the break acting will lossing up but there all fun to shoot
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Actually there are more reasons than the one you mentioned. Some of us who have shoot and like bolt cartridge guns do not see any logic in a bolt muzzle loader the bolt takes up space that could be well used by a longer barrel and adds weight to no purpose. I have had Knights and they are a fine accurate rifle but they do not shoot any better than several other high quality rifles in the same price range, just as good but no better. I have been shooting an Omega and a Triumph ever since they have been on the market, like all the other guns that I have had I did a bit of tuning on them. They have had many cases of powder through them and shoot just as good as the did after break in and tuning. All guns shoot some loads better than others including the Knights and I did a bit of tuning on the Knights to so the differences as far as as the good points go just are not there. I think the bolt guns will be around a long time because some people will always prefer them and that's their right but I think the majority of shooters are looking in other directions.
Lee i agree 100% with you. the only area i see knights being all around better is the fact they shoot big full bore conicals and saboted bullets both with excellent accuracy.My triumph was a tack driver from day one and continues to be. even the the upper end CVA's seem to be very accurate rifles with saboted bullets. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.