Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future? >

Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will There be more bolt actions ML's in the future?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

I do not see that happening ever. Smith needed TC more than TC needed Smith.

Charlie
Old 05-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chasam60

Charlie
X2, contrary to popular belief,Smith bought T/C to get there feet in the long rifle market,and not for it's tooling. smith made pistols not rifles and T/C's tooling was of no use to them as far as there pistols were concerned. T/C was also still making a profit when it sold out to Smith. Ray
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you are going to start to see a return to more traditional muzzle loading. Muzzle loaders for all intent and purpose have almost become as accurate and proficient as a centerfire bolt action rifle. With the exception of only having one shot.

So whether it is a bolt action MZ or a break action MZ I think states are going to go back and start re-regulating MZ season. After all these seasons were originally called "primitive weapons season". And it would be fair to say that alot of today's modern MZ's DO NOT qualify as "primitive weapons".

Personally I hope they do go back to primitive weapons. One of my favorite hunts is the PA FL only hunt for deer.

I am just as guilty as most when buying more modern MZ's. I also have a couple of MK-85's, and a Knight Long Range Hunter and TC Encores. So I am every bit as guilty as everybody else.

I did order my first custom FL rifle this year, and hope to have it soon.

Earlier someone said the break actions are here to stay in the MZ world. That may or may not be true. I really don't know. But I feel fairly sure that there are going to be some more advancements in MZ's, and we are going to hit that point where they will completely loose their "primitive weapon" status.

I know, I know they still load from the front. But I beg anyone to try and prove to me that there have not been unbelievable advancements in MZ technology. I know I have sure taken advantage of many of them. And this to my hunting skills demise. Tom.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chasam60

Charlie

I have heard there were a few reasons why S&W bought TC. Getting into the rifle market was one. But they could have easily done that without buying TC. I heard the main reason Smith bought TC was to gain their technology and skills in casting. That is where TC really stood out.

And I can easily see Smith dropping most of the TC MZ market. All but the Encore. But I think rather than just dropping that market they may just spin it off. But I do believe Smith has little desire to market MZ products. I believe you will see a alot of TC MZ products go away. Jut an opinion. Tom.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bolt action muzzleloaders are not selling well. About 80 percent of the hunters i see are using break action guns. In the past few years Gonic, Austin and Halleck and Knight went away: Methinks it's not a co-incidence that they were makers of bolt guns. Now Knight is back, at least temporarily.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like Savage is making another run of bolt action MLs and are selling fairly well. Buds and a few others already have them in stock and i know people that have already received new ones.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

yea I agree-If I was going to get a Knight I'd rather have one with a bit shorter barrel-I'd prefer an OAL lengh of 42-43 inches.

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Actually there are more reasons than the one you mentioned. Some of us who have shoot and like bolt cartridge guns do not see any logic in a bolt muzzle loader the bolt takes up space that could be well used by a longer barrel and adds weight to no purpose. I have had Knights and they are a fine accurate rifle but they do not shoot any better than several other high quality rifles in the same price range, just as good but no better. I have been shooting an Omega and a Triumph ever since they have been on the market, like all the other guns that I have had I did a bit of tuning on them. They have had many cases of powder through them and shoot just as good as the did after break in and tuning. All guns shoot some loads better than others including the Knights and I did a bit of tuning on the Knights to so the differences as far as as the good points go just are not there. I think the bolt guns will be around a long time because some people will always prefer them and that's their right but I think the majority of shooters are looking in other directions.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is a real shame they didn't offer a brush gun like the GMB54-120. IMO it is still one of the best handling field guns i have ever carried and packs plenty of knockdown. Weight and length are both very reasonable even with a laminate stock.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
It is a real shame they didn't offer a brush gun like the GMB54-120. IMO it is still one of the best handling field guns i have ever carried and packs plenty of knockdown. Weight and length are both very reasonable even with a laminate stock.
It's always about supply and demand GM. no demand for the .54... Ray
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
It's always about supply and demand GM. no demand for the .54... Ray
The Green Mountain 54-120 was badly marketed by Green Mountain. It would have been a nice addition to Knights new line up. It did not have to be a .54, it could have been a .50, Green Mountain still makes their barrels.

I was not wanting a .54 but the gun was beautiful and $424.00 shipped to my door was a no-brainer. Thats a deal I was not going to pass up and I am glad I did not. It is one of the most accurate inlines in my safe that throws a big bullet down range with alot of punch!

Ever shot one? You would want one after a few rounds down range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.