Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Nothing Wrong with the Basic Z5 >

Nothing Wrong with the Basic Z5

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nothing Wrong with the Basic Z5

Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Nothing Wrong with the Basic Z5

Before I ever read a word this board I bought the basic Black & Blue Omega Z5. Only after reading here how it was cheap and flimsly did I doubt my purchase. Since then I've bought a a few " shooters " MZ's and had some fun with them.

Today, it was unusually cool here in KS and thought it would be a fine day to hit the range before the summer heat set in. I decided to take out the Z5 for a little work.

I started at 75 yards and shot a group of 300 Scorpion PT's and a group of Barnes 245 MZ's ( boat tails ). I was shooting off bags so there is an element of human error in the results.

I ran out of the Rem STS primers I had with two shots to go in the Barnes. Surprisingly, the new STS's moved the last two shots in the group an 1" high. When I looked close I noticed they weren't exactly the same.

I had time for a quick 3 shot group at 100 yards and was pleased with the results.

The bottom line... I like the Z5 and can't find a thing wrong with this gun. I was on the hunt for an Elite or an Extreme but I can't see either adding much to this performance.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I had a Z5 with TH laminate stock. It shot Speer 250gr Deep Curls and PT's great with 100gr BH209. All .50 TC guns I have played with liked the PT's in a crushed rib sabot. Thats some fine shooting there.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

in my knight the 260 pt shot better with 100gr BH209 but the 300gr pt have to be shot with 110gr or more to group better but thats good shooting have fun
Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally have never owned that rifle, but I find very few T/C rifles low quality. Their barrels are top of the line, and while (from what I have read) the Z5 had some stock issues with being not as good as the other rifles in the T/C line, for the price it was not meant to be. It was produced to be a low end high quality hunting rifle. It looks like a great shooter from your targets. I make my judgement on any rifle, one they are in my hand and I have a chance to range test them. It looks like you have a good rifle.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Fork Horn

We have one of the early black/blue Omegas. from day one it has been an outstanding shooter with groups of around 1" with the 4 different XTP and Gold Dot bullets we tried. It was a bear to load until I discovered crush rib sabots, and even with these is pretty stiff unless I swab between shots. The trigger is heavy, but does break cleanly. OTOH our Encore, to which I have done trigger work, and replaced springs and hinge pin, has been pretty aggravating, but will finally stay around 1.5" with 300gr XTP magnums.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Spike

Looks like you were shooting at Parma Woods. Am I right? Great range.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
Looks like you were shooting at Parma Woods. Am I right? Great range.
I don't think so. It's called Lake City just North of Blue Springs. It just opened last year and is a very nice place to shoot if you're not there the month before the deer opener.