Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
auction arms bullets? >

auction arms bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

auction arms bullets?

Old 05-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default auction arms bullets?

tried some .50 maxi balls I purchased from a guy in Iowa off Auction Arms yesterday and they shot real well out of my TC Greyhawk. I like the bullets only thing is I don't know how heavy they are, tried to weigh them but my scale tops out at 400gr. Has anyone else bought any of these? how they work for you? do you know how much they weigh? The guy always has lots of bullets for sale so someone else must be shooting them.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Dominant Buck

430 grain in the .54 caliber and 370 in the .50 caliber. Of all the maxi line, they are my favorite conical. I am watching for BlackJack to start up again. I see Bill Davis was saying he's all moved in now and getting his casting back up. He makes good maxiball and the price is usually fair.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have bought conicals from the guy in Spirit Lake Iowa that you are referring to with mostly good results. I got a few one time that the grease grooves were almost completely gone on one side when he sized them but that was just a few that I wanted sized down to .500. The rest have been fine.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

yes the guy out of Spirit Lake, shot some yesterday out of my .50 barrel at 50yds and had several groups less than 2inches, pretty good for me with open sights. I found the gun liked 80 gr goex 2f best, that should be plenty for deer. Here in South Dakota we have to use open sights so 50 yards is about as far as I like to shoot during Muzzle season.