Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sannadex Powder

Old 05-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by arcticap
Below is what a well recognized black powder manufacturing expert with the screen name "mad monk" posted on ALR. From what he says it's pretty clear that 777 resulted from changing the formula of Pyrodex which ended up increasing its shelf life. And he distinguishes those 2 powders apart from the sugar based powders which he says belong to 2 groups, the AA powders and fruit sugar powder.
777 differs from pyrodex, which i was aware of. the debate was if it was sugar based. i have read up on all the various BP subs and have never seen anything to make me believe that 777 is sugar based.there doesn't seem to be any sulpher or charcoal either.salt based products yes lol.. trade secret maybe!!! Ray
Old 05-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

there doesn't seem to be any sulpher or charcoal either.
Read the MSDS: 777 has charcoal.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/MSDS%20Fi...ripleSe7en.pdf

Last edited by falcon; 05-07-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can't get carbon from salt.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I do not think anybody has said that.

and Charcoal is an added ingredient and it was added to provide smoke since we need to have smoke from a BP sub.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Muley i didn't say the carbon was from the salt. my question is where is the sugar and what type is it? all the other sugar base BP subs have the sugar listed, 777 does not. Ray
Old 05-07-2011, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

and Charcoal is an added ingredient and it was added to provide smoke since we need to have smoke from a BP sub.
Bingo!!!
If there's no smoke it ain't a BP substitute.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's something we haven't thought of.

They used some sort of sugar for the charcoal, and some sort of salt to speed it up.

I'll say it again. The charcoal in real BP is not there to make smoke. It's just an after effect. Just like the charcoal is in T7 to serve another purpose than making smoke.

Look at the white crusty residue that T7 leaves. Ever burn sugar?

btw You aren't going to see all the ingredients listed. They just say secret ingredients. Otherwise, everybody would just copy the formula.

Gluconic acid?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
Falcon you are correct, that was a typo on my part. everything i can find states pyrodex and 777 contain a lot of the same ingredients. exception 777 does not contain (sulphur).can you find anything in regards to 777 that states it contains any type of sugar base. Ray
Old 05-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by builder459
Falcon you are correct, that was a typo on my part. everything i can find states pyrodex and 777 contain a lot of the same ingredients. exception 777 does not contain (sulphur).can you find anything in regards to 777 that states it contains any type of sugar base. Ray
You do know that the charcoal in BP is what makes the dirty fouling, because it's made from wood. (same for Pyrodex).

So, with T7 being much cleaner burning. What is the charcoal in T7 made from? It's not made from salt. If not sugar which we know works. What then?
Old 05-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=Muley Hunter;3806216]You do know that the charcoal in BP is what makes the dirty fouling, because it's made from wood. (same for Pyrodex).

So, with T7 being much cleaner burning. What is the charcoal in T7 made from? It's not made from salt. If not sugar which we know works. What then?[/QUOTE Muley, as far as i can tell charcoal is added for smoke effect.and keep in mind salt can be highly explosive.. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.