HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Etiquette (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/343939-etiquette.html)

flounder33 04-27-2011 09:22 AM

Etiquette

Personally I have no problem with someone promoting any product they like on here even if they have some financial or other ties to the company or companies that are involved. I do have a problem with bashing other products.
When I got in business for myself a wise man told me that the least you say about your competitors the better, let your product speak for itself. I really think this is true. If you feel the need to bash other products to promote your own, that tells me your product is really not that good after all.
Civil discussions and civil comparisons are great but things sure seem to get kind of out of control lately.
I sure would like to see the tone get more positive around here. Live and Let Live
Art

HEAD0001 04-27-2011 09:34 AM

I worked in sales almost my entire life. And I also spent many years in the sporting goods industry. I did not have very many rules that I limited myself to. But one rule I never broke was to discuss the products of another. It is best to not even mention the other guy also. Why lend any publicity to them at all??

Heck when a person asked me about the other product. I normally acted like I did not even know about the other product. Trying my best to render that product completely inconsequential to the discussion.

And you are absolutly right. Your product must stand on it's own. An not at the expense of downing another product.

It is basically a bad decision to bad mouth another's product. And there is only one real reason to do it. And that is if the other product is better in any way.

When giving opinions then that is a different situation. But if I ws married in any way to a particular product then I absolutely would not knock another product. And I would be sure to make public my affiliation with a particular product.

I remember when Tony Knight brought out his MK-85. I was selling for a wholesaler at that time. And Tony was at a trade show when I met him. This guy was dynamic. As far as he was concerned no one else out there even built an MZ. He would not talk bad about any one's product. But he would not shut up about his product!! He was one of the first class guys, who marketed and sold a first class product. But he did not bad mouth others-he just exploited the advantages of his product. He told me when I was out on the road selling his product that if I had any problems to call him directly. He said he would take care of it personally. I only had to call him a few times, but he did what he said he would do. He did not ned to bad mouth anyone-his word was good. Tom.

builder459 04-27-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by flounder33 (Post 3803018)
Personally I have no problem with someone promoting any product they like on here even if they have some financial or other ties to the company or companies that are involved. I do have a problem with bashing other products.
When I got in business for myself a wise man told me that the least you say about your competitors the better, let your product speak for itself. I really think this is true. If you feel the need to bash other products to promote your own, that tells me your product is really not that good after all.
Civil discussions and civil comparisons are great but things sure seem to get kind of out of control lately.
I sure would like to see the tone get more positive around here. Live and Let Live
Art

Flounder i agree 100 %, which is exactly why i questioned the person as to why the company, who's bullet he promotes hasn't gotten into the single largest non lead market in the US and let the people out in the field using the product give there honest evaluations..i have heard no reply on the matter just more misinformation or 1/2 information. by this time next year, i like yourself will be totally out of the saboted end of this sport and into the conical and old school rifle end of it. the cheap and extremely effective conicals i shoot will kill every bit as well as $65.00 a box bullets and be just as accurate in most cases.:party0005: Ray

SJAdventures 04-27-2011 10:25 AM

I have my hands full worrying about myself let alone worrying about everyone else. I have my own business and I also learned to mind my own business. If a service or a product is bad or good it will come to the surface without me telling the world. I personally don't care which of anything is the absolute best in the world (it is all subjective), just what is best for me.

Grouse45 04-27-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3803038)
Flounder i agree 100 %, which is exactly why i questioned the person as to why the company, who's bullet he promotes hasn't gotten into the single largest non lead market in the US and let the people out in the field using the product give there honest evaluations..i have heard no reply on the matter just more misinformation or 1/2 information. by this time next year, i like yourself will be totally out of the saboted end of this sport and into the conical and old school rifle end of it. the cheap and extremely effective conicals i shoot will kill every bit as well as $65.00 a box bullets and be just as accurate in most cases.:party0005: Ray

I think he's talking about you.

lemoyne 04-27-2011 10:46 AM

Most of us don't sell or get anything from sales. Some of us try everything that looks like it has potential and form an opinion and when one of the group that does this has a good or bad experience I like to hear about it. Of course there are a few people that push some lower quality stuff but it becomes obvious who they are and they are like a tick always trying to sneak up and bite. As far as I know there is no way that much can be done about it they just come back under a different name and clutter up the form.

builder459 04-27-2011 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3803051)
I think he's talking about you.

Really? i have never bashed Leigh's. wake up Grouse!

Grouse45 04-27-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3803064)
Really? i have never bashed Leigh's. wake up Grouse!

Take your time and read what he wrote again, you might then understand.

Grouse45 04-27-2011 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by flounder33 (Post 3803018)
I do have a problem with bashing other products.
When I got in business for myself a wise man told me that the least you say about your competitors the better, let your product speak for itself. Art

For the most part i agree. When small companies come out with a good product and no one is using it , it's tuff for it to speak for itself. I think testing and supplying information and word of mouth is huge.

And by nature, people tend me included get really excited about good products. Though you did not use yours much, that lehigh breech plug really changed the outlook for Knight Rifles.

builder459 04-27-2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Grouse45 (Post 3803067)
Take your time and read what he wrote again, you might then understand.

Listen up Grouse, i understand perfectly. again i never bashed Lehigh period. you really need to put a sock in it and stop while your ahead..your arrogance is getting in the way again.and your intentions are crystal clear!you fool no one but yourself! nuff said.. Ray