HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Hornady XTP Max Velocity (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/343490-hornady-xtp-max-velocity.html)

charlie brown 04-16-2011 07:10 PM

Hornady XTP Max Velocity

I have looked around a little bit on here, but I have not seen it. I have seen a lot of pictures and debate on the XTP, and pushing them too fast, causing them to come apart. I did not apply for elk this year, but did apply for deer, so I decided to try the .451-250 XTP for deer only. I have just started working up a load with this. My first few shots were with 90 grs of Goex 2f and a Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot. I am just curious what people's thoughts are on the max velocity, and where the limit is of the XTP coming apart. I am shooting this out of a Traditions Pursuit with the 26" barrel.

I did get a decent group at 50 yards, but I need to do some work, and I am also trying to get a new sight arrangement set up, so waiting on a new front sight to get here, so I am not 10" low at 50 yards, lol.

Thanks,

Marcial

builder459 04-16-2011 07:29 PM

Pure lead is about 2,100 fps when it will start to deform in flight. the XTP is a jacketed bullet. you won't even get close to that. i suggest 3- 5 shot groups start at say 85 and keep working up in 5 gr increments until accuracy falls off and stick with that load. your rifles sweet spot may be 85 or 105, you won't know until you experiment with the different loads.the XTP is a good bullet, any problems with them would probably be at close range with high velocity loads. i see your in nevada where long shots are possible lol. i am in cali myself. a lot of people on this forum use goex. so they may chime in about it. have fun.Ray

50calty 04-16-2011 08:43 PM

Hell I use the 300 grain XTP with 90 grains of BH209. Never have gotten around to see what my Triumph is pushing. But my expansion test have been perfect. Every animal I shot had a entrance and exit wound. I wouldn't worry about it. I love XTPS

lemoyne 04-17-2011 04:24 AM

Some of the people that talk about them coming apart are pushing them quite hard with smokeless, I use them for many years and up to 110 gr they worked fine. I now use deep Curl and Lehigh bullets but there is nothing wrong with the XTP bullets.

charlie brown 04-17-2011 06:24 AM

Ok, sounds good guys. I will have my new front sight next week, and will start working with some loads with those bullets, as well as the regular Harvesters, and Crushed Rib sabots. See if I can't get a decent load together.

Later,

Marcial

builder459 04-17-2011 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by charlie brown (Post 3799426)
Ok, sounds good guys. I will have my new front sight next week, and will start working with some loads with those bullets, as well as the regular Harvesters, and Crushed Rib sabots. See if I can't get a decent load together.

Later,

Marcial

How are the XTP'S loading with the crushed rib sabots ? Ray

50calty 04-17-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3799448)

Thats what I use with my Triumph. They are great I havn't had a problem with them.

charlie brown 04-17-2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3799448)

They seem to load real easy. I did 3 shots in a row with 90 grs of 2f Goex, and did not swab between shots. I got about a 2" group at 50 yards from a not-so-good rest, just 10" low. They load a lot easier than the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains, and the SST/Shockwaves with the sabots they come with in the package. I will definately have some work to do with the load, which will include a better rest.

nchawkeye 04-17-2011 05:33 PM

There is a fellow up the road in Greensboro that developed a muzzle loader a few year back that uses smokeless powder, last name of Bell...You guys may have heard of him...His testing grounds is eastern NC and his bullet of choice is a 300gr Hornady .452 XTP...He has killed a few hundred with this bullet...I figure that's good enough...

I don't believe you'll push that or any other XTP too fast with black powder or a sub...

oldsmellhound 04-18-2011 05:25 PM

I've used the .40 cal 200 XTP a fair bit, pushing it up to 2,100 fps. At that velocity I did get some core separation and fragmentation on close shots. However, the end result was still a dead deer. A MV of 1,800 fps seemed to be about ideal for close - to - medium range shots- always good penetration, expansion, exit wound and dead deer.