HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   TC Prohunter XT (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/343049-tc-prohunter-xt.html)

BHunter32 04-05-2011 03:37 PM

TC Prohunter XT

If you had a choice between the TC Prohunter XT in weathershield or in stainless, which one would you buy and why? This will be a gun that I intend to keep for awhile. I take great care of my guns, I have some that are 30 years old that look as new as the day they were unboxed. I do hunt in adverse weather conditions when the deer are on the move. I also want one that is easy to find barrels for when I want to swap it over to a coyote gun. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

sabotloader 04-05-2011 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BHunter32 (Post 3795472)
If you had a choice between the TC Prohunter XT in weathershield or in stainless, which one would you buy and why? This will be a gun that I intend to keep for awhile. I take great care of my guns, I have some that are 30 years old that look as new as the day they were unboxed. I do hunt in adverse weather conditions when the deer are on the move. I also want one that is easy to find barrels for when I want to swap it over to a coyote gun. I would appreciate your input. Thanks.

I am totally biased... so keep that in mind.... For a ML I really do prefer the stainless option. I just beleive it is easier to care for and a little more durable than chrome molly steel. Although I have weathersield Triumph that has never given me a problem.

I do not believe that the adverse weather is any kinda of concern as long as you are taking care of your gun, especially the bore.

Grouse45 04-05-2011 05:14 PM

I sent two Triumphs back because of the weather shield. So if i had an option i would get stainless.

Gm54-120 04-05-2011 05:41 PM

Im very partial to stainless too.

50calty 04-05-2011 06:25 PM

Well I"m going to go against the group and vote for the weathershield. I have had no issue with mine and when I compared it to my TC Pro Hunter SS for cleaning, the weathershield won hands down. Nothing seems to stick to it. As for which one will be easier to find different barrels. I dont know what to tell you. Kinda depends on TC. If they really get into the weathershield they maybe easy to find. Right now its easier to get SS hands down. When it comes right down to it, either way is a win win. Just going to depend on what color you want your gun to look like.

Gm54-120 04-05-2011 07:34 PM

SS with a Cerakote type finish is the best of both worlds. ;)

quake 04-06-2011 02:29 AM

I would go with the stainless if money is not the issue. I wish my Triumph was stainless like my Black Diamond.

cayugad 04-06-2011 06:40 AM

Stainless. It is a tried and tested metal. Weathershield has some good following I am sure, but with that finish, are you 100% positive of the durability? With Stainless Steel, there is no question as to what you are getting.

lemoyne 04-06-2011 06:46 AM

Stainless with out a doubt. Weathershield is a crummy plating on the out side of the barrel the inside is where you need the extra protection.

Muley Hunter 04-06-2011 07:44 AM

I'm really old school.

I have a Winchester 94 30-30 (blued or course) that my dad bought for me in 1953. I've used it for years, and the the bluing is still fine.

My point being. Anything better than plain bluing should be good enough if you take care of your gun.