Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Prohunter XT

Old 04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like stainless has the better following. It's a hard decision, and I just want to be happy with what I get. Thanks to you all.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer stainless mostly for aesthetics. I think it looks better and it has good corrosion resistance. Maybe they will offer it in grade 8 steel. <----- that is just a joke, so please take it as such.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Michael396
I prefer stainless mostly for aesthetics. I think it looks better and it has good corrosion resistance. Maybe they will offer it in grade 8 steel. <----- that is just a joke, so please take it as such.
Silver is not a natural color in nature. Have you ever thought of what it looks like to a deer/elk?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Silver is not a natural color in nature. Have you ever thought of what it looks like to a deer/elk?
Sure has not effected any the animals I have shot... remember animals are color blind, and with the new dull stainless finishes, they they do not shine and/or reflect.

They will see movement long before they see a stainless barrel pointed at them...
Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BHunter32
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like stainless has the better following. It's a hard decision, and I just want to be happy with what I get. Thanks to you all.
Stainless - far easier to take care of... IMO
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Sure has not effected any the animals I have shot... remember animals are color blind, and with the new dull stainless finishes, they they do not shine and/or reflect.

They will see movement long before they see a stainless barrel pointed at them...
I agree 100%.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sabotloader

They are color blind to certain colors. They aren't blind. An unnatural color/shade stands out to them.

You have no way of knowing if your barrel has spooked an animal. You might have thought it was something else.

I like to keep all the odds in my favor.

You can wave an unnatural barrel, or a natural barrel. What do you think the game will see first? A dark branch waving in the breeze is natural. A silver branch??
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the bore and exterior coatings available on the market today and with people trying to save money on about everything. SS rifles come down to a personal choice. if a person decides to buy a blued rifle and applies these coatings, there rifle will resist rust as well if not better than SS and they can save quite a few dollars. remember SS will and does rust,if not taken care of. enjoy whatever you decide on and be safe.Ray
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They are color blind to certain colors. They aren't blind. An unnatural color/shade stands out to them.

You have no way of knowing if your barrel has spooked an animal. You might have thought it was something else.

I like to keep all the odds in my favor.

You can wave an unnatural barrel, or a natural barrel. What do you think the game will see first? A dark branch waving in the breeze is natural. A silver branch??
I bow hunted for many years and totally agree with you on this subject. Ray
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Banned

SS will just look like a streak of sun light to them IMO.

They'll hear you / smell you long before they spot your SS gun barrel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.