Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC ProHunter XT

Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default TC ProHunter XT

I have saved some money back and am going to purchase a TC Prohunter XT for this coming season. They have two models, one is with the new weathershield finish and one is the stainless steel. I am having a hard time figuring out which one to get because I want to make the best choice possible. The stainless is about 200 dollars higher at my local gun shop, but have no issues in getting it if it is the better gun. Anyone using these guns please give me some feedback and also some suggestions of what loads you are shooting through them that will give me the best accuracty. I would appreciate your help.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

I'd go with the stainless version.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although i am a T/C fan, i have never been a fan of the expensive IMHO overpriced encore rifle.for the same money IMHO the Knight mountaineer is a much better buy. they are stunning rifles and have quality written all over them. and guaranteed out to 200 yds. if i were in the market for a upper end M/L, this one would be my pick.i own a T/C Triumph that will do anything the encore can for a whole lot less.Ray
Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

the apex is worth a look too!!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have an Encore stainless and I just love it. It shoots really good the only other muzzle loader that even comes close is my Triumph, I did tweak the trigger but I do that on all my guns. I like the stainless for several reasons it is easier to clean it holds on to less crud from shot to shot and if you get the flat finish it blends in better than most would believe. Shoulder them all fit is important, some of us fit our guns to us some don't need to and some us what ever they buy as the factory puts it out.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Lee, do you have any experience with the weathershield finish? I am leaning more toward the excore endeavor Stainless, and after doing some research it seems easier to find barrels for than the weathershield ones. I want to get a 22-250 barrel for it to use on some coyotes. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

I built my Encore Pro Hunters in pieces. Its cheaper that way. Buy the frame and stock set then all you need to do is add a barrel. You can go TC or Bergara for barrels.

This is a TH Pro Hunter frame for $395. My local dealer charges me $25.00 for the transfer.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/37287
Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

i have a prohunter in stainless and love it. I also have barrels in 7mm-08, 22lr, and i just bought 20g turkey barrel. Ive only used my tc for 1 year of blackpowder hunting so far and I didnt get a lot of range test time, but i found a good setup with 110grains of bh209 and 200 grain saboted slugs. I got that load off of eabco.com i think.....2in high at 50, 4in high at 100, and a little low at 200.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I just don't like stainless steel. I had a prohunter and sold it. It seemed to show more wear then a blued barrel. I have a TC Bone Collector and love the weather shield. I wish more gun makers would have that finish. In my whole gun collecting I only have one stainless steel. And thats in a S&W .357mag. So my vote is always for the blued or weathershield.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The thing about weathershield is I believe the bore is still just blued. I can't promise that's the case, but remember reading it when I was looking about a month ago. I ended up going with the stainless Pro Hunter. It seems to be a great gun. Unfortunately I've had it for about a month and haven't shot it yet (that alone keeps me awake at night.) But if we ever get rid of enough snow out back and it stops raining/snowing whenever I'm off, I just may get out to shoot it.
I also plan on adding a barrel for coyotes, but I just built an AR so I'll probably just stick with that for awhile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.