Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
QLA-less Omega + 300 gr Thor ballistic tip >

QLA-less Omega + 300 gr Thor ballistic tip

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

QLA-less Omega + 300 gr Thor ballistic tip

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default QLA-less Omega + 300 gr Thor ballistic tip

Well, got my Omega back after a QLA removal and a recrown job and got some 300 gm Thor Ballistic tip bullets today, so I will be putting gun and bullets through the test this weekend. The gun always shot Thors pretty well, but always had one too many fliers to suit me, so will see if removing the QLA will make a noticable difference

Gonna try and get some big pure lead conicals to try as well if I can find any in town. It has NEVER shot them well.

BTW, I wasn't aware of the fact that if you order the ballistic tip Thors, you only get 14 bullets instead of 15. Has that always been his policy?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

It'll be interesting to see what happens TX. Looking forward to your report.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

I'm looking forward to seeing the results too. Try some Hornady Great Plains. If your Omega shoots them well, then that should put any doubt about the QLA to rest. I've never heard of an Omega that shoots them well.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Colorado Cajun
I'm looking forward to seeing the results too. Try some Hornady Great Plains. If your Omega shoots them well, then that should put any doubt about the QLA to rest. I've never heard of an Omega that shoots them well.

I have no interest in the Hornadys, but my Omega shoots 1 1/4" groups @ 100yds with the 300 Thors. 100-110 gr BH.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I was not too pleased on how the Omega shot. First of all, I had some old 300 gr .502 Thor hollow points. They loaded pretty well and shot decent at 50 yards. However, the body of those bullets were narrower than the rear skirt. The new 300 gr ballistic tip .502 thors were the same diameter from the skirt forward. After starting them, they were extremely hard to load and a couple of times I was worried I didn't get them seated all the way, but they all went bang. Also, on the older bullets, the riflings were only on the skirt when I pushed the bullet all the way through the gun. However, on the new ones, the rifling marks were the full length of the bullets. Obviously, they have changed the manufacturing process. I am hoping these bullets will work in my LRH that I have always used the .503s in.

Groups on those bullets were about 3-4 inches at 50 yards which is somewhat dissapointing. They did as good if not better with the QLA in place. However, I only tried two powder charges (90 and 100 gr of BH 209)

Tried Buffalo bullets and T/C maxiballs. They DID shoot better than before the QLA, but still not great. They were at 3-4 inches at 50 yards. The nice thing to see though, was that the holes were crisp and exactly round though the target, indicating no bullet wobble. Before, they were ragged and sometimes with certain bullets, would go through the target sideways.

So, all in all, not as good as I was hoping, but will have to see with some more testing.

Last edited by txhunter58; 04-03-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Have you looked into the PR Bullet Conicals? Cecil Epp is good to respond to emails and will recommend a bullet weight suitable for your gun's twist. I am sure he knows which one of his bullets shoot good in an Omega as they have many test guns. Its worth a shot to shoot him off an email and inquire.

http://www.prbullet.com/
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the .501 in my Omega. I can force a .502 down, but I didn't like loading anything that tight. The .501 barely leave any marks on the bullet, but in my gun they shoot better than anything else i've tried.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I use the .501 in my Omega. I can force a .502 down, but I didn't like loading anything that tight. The .501 barely leave any marks on the bullet, but in my gun they shoot better than anything else i've tried.
Tried them (.501s) in the past and they practically fell down my barrel, not good for shooting BH 209. However, those bullets had a bullet diameter less than .501, so something changed in the way they were made. Am sending him an email to ask for a clarification.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I have no interest in the Hornadys, but my Omega shoots 1 1/4" groups @ 100yds with the 300 Thors. 100-110 gr BH.

The Hornady Great Plains was the 1st bullet I shot out of my Omega with T7 and couldn't hit a 1/4 sheet of plywood at 50 yards. LOL! It was bad. Now I'm shoot the 350 gr. FPB's and plan to stick with them as long as they are available. I may try the thors though, they do look good. That must pack a pretty good punch with 100 gr. of BH209.

txhunter, sorry to hear it didn't go better.