Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I KNOW this one is gunna leave a mark >

I KNOW this one is gunna leave a mark

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I KNOW this one is gunna leave a mark

Old 03-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you get scope bit we want pictures.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Before I mounted a scope on this rifle, I think I'd load it with whatever load you are hoping it shoots well and see what the recoil feels like. Not an expert here, just think I remember some large bore rifles being rough on scopes.? I have quite a few simmons scopes and have destroyed a few also. At 5 lbs, she may have quite a jolt. About the neatest recoil I ever saw was one of those little short single shot shotguns that weighted probably 5 lbs shooting a 3 1/2" turkey load. It backed me up 3 steps. The guys all thought it was pretty funny and one of the stoughter gutsy guys had to try it and it did the same to him. Traded that one after I asked a local gunsmith if he could do anything for the recoil. He laughed and said try duck taping a brick to the barrel. lol. All kidding aside, You may have an excellent special purpose rifle here, that I'd be tickled to own. I kinda would like to see it shoot first though. Enjoy.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Simmons is a little Black Diamond shotgun scope. Its a tough little sucker (for a cheapy) with around 4"+ of relief. Not much room for adjustment though. Im not going to sink a bunch into optics until im sure i really like it.

My GMB54-120 is a hard kicker with a 385gr and 120gr of BH209. That does rattle you a bit but i haven't been bitten by the Redfield Revolution....yet. Its held up really well to my torture tests on a sled too.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Once you've shot this a bit, you have to have someone snap a few pictures of it in full recoil shooting offhand. I think we all want to know what she does. That 4" will probably help alot. Just dont do what I do once in a while, and creep up on the scope on the bench. This one will probably make you say bad things.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking rifle, time to burn some pwd
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a pic the previous owner took back in 2005 or 2006. It looks just as nice today. He took extremely good care of it.

I bought the top one

Im trying out a couple of my scopes today to see what fits best and if it all works out i will probably go with a Leupold Ultra light variable power later. I THINK that is what he mounted on the bottom gun.

Total weight should easily come in under 7lbs ready to hunt if i remove the solid PowerRod and use one of Mac's collapsible rods for hunting. I really really like my GMB54-120 ALOT and sofar no other rifle has impressed me like this one in terms of light and functional.

I just added one of the RedFields ive had good luck with on other hard kickers. The Simmons was too short to mount properly.

Ready to go with a Revolution 2x7x33. Eye relief came out really good too.

MY GMB54-120 didn't break my first Revolution. Now i got to see if the NULA can.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-02-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

You use the NULA for awhile, your savage will collect dust. Lighter weight and the bolt and breech plug arent bad either. The primers take a little bit getting used to loading it.