Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
KDElite in the Rock Pit >

KDElite in the Rock Pit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

KDElite in the Rock Pit

Old 03-25-2011, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
TNHagies

Is there a reason you decided to index as the picture on the right? What did you find to make you feel it might be better?
2 reasons:
1- I went to the range one day just for the sole purpose of determining if 'indexing' made a difference. I didn't see the BIG improvement in consistency I was hoping for but I did see a little better results from that method on the right.

2- I line up the gap in between the petals with the blade of the front sight. It's easier to keep it consistent that way than the other method. Really, between the two methods I didn't see much change but there was a small, albeit noticeable improvement from not indexing at all.

I've just come to the conclusion that in Muzzleloading, (as with many other areas of life) consistency is key. The more things I can keep constant the better off I am.

Scott
Old 03-25-2011, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

sabotloader: Nice informative report ! Recently purchased a thumb hole from Knight for my .45 Elite, but haven't tried it yet. Really don't want to change a thing since it's shooting the Lehigh 185/200 and Barnes 195's so good with the regular stock.

Are you happy with the thumb hole.. and does it help your aiming /shooting ?

The 200gr Noslers look interesting... they certainly shot well for you. How do you think they compare with the 200 Lehighs ? They look to be shorter and maybe easier to stabilize in the 1:30 twist Knight. Can you post a pic that have the two side by side ?

Thanks... Rob
Old 03-25-2011, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shooting and i really like the looks fo the new Nosler 40-200s. They are getting some really good accuracy reviews at SML speeds too including a 300yard impact recovery. It held together better than i expected.

The modded bullet is a Barnes 40-155gr TAC-XP. I added a pure lead 22cal North American Arms BP ML bullet to the hollow point. It left enough room for a shallow hollow point. I actually got the idea from another bullet Lehigh offers. I wanted a heavier bullet without the added length. Im still perfecting the method to add the extra weight for use in the Lehigh 185gr DOA.

I shot many of them at paper but i didnt test them on media. Last year i let my buddy use one in my old Accura 45 but told him to make sure he hit bone to insure expansion.

This is the carnage of the exit wound at just over 150yards with around 105-110gr of BH209.

I wasn't sure it would expand but this pic sure looks like it expanded this time.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-25-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rt_con
sabotloader: Nice informative report ! Recently purchased a thumb hole from Knight for my .45 Elite, but haven't tried it yet. Really don't want to change a thing since it's shooting the Lehigh 185/200 and Barnes 195's so good with the regular stock.
I know exactly what you mean... this particular rifle has been mounted in a regular Knight camo pistol grip stock. It was dead accurate in that stock. Actually this was the first trip to the woods with the thumb hole stock. It is really a Extreme thumb hole that I had altered to fit the forked recoil lug of the Elite. When this barreled action was in the pistol grip stock... the barrel floated as Elites do. Installed in the TH the barrel sits flat in the barrel channel the whole distance no floating at all. The barrel is supported equally and helps dampen vibrations + absorbs some of the barrel heat with moving the stock. Really do like it.... And I now know it is pretty accurate.

Are you happy with the thumb hole.. and does it help your aiming /shooting ?
It was not to far back there that I firmly would have said that I am not intersted in a thumbhole, ESPECIALLY for hunting... but I started shooting a TH on the bench and i really feel that it gives you much more control over the gun, reduces some of the felt recoil and really helps in the alignment of the rifle (really reduces any canting left or right). I started hunting with a TH Omega a couple of years ago and then last year with a Knight - I am now good and comfortable with the TH.

The 200gr Noslers look interesting... they certainly shot well for you. How do you think they compare with the 200 Lehighs?
I really like the design of the hollow point... the shape of the lead in the hollow point. It is sort of stepped... a wider opening sloped and closed down a bit to a more narrow HP. I think the design would insure very good and controlled expansion in an animal. The thing I do not know yet is how well will it stay together at ML velocities??? I am hoping to find that out next week... maybe. I know the 40/200 XTP stayed together better n than any other XTP that I have shot and consider it a 'tough' bullet, but I am thinking this one might be better. IF the appearance that the bullet presents is any indication. It just appears to be a well built, precise bullet.

Not sure there is a good way to compare the Lehigh to the Nosler. I still consider the Lehigh the superior bullet in contruction and terminal performance. In fact even now I would still think the 40/180 Speer Gold Dot/Deep Curl might be the better terminal performance bullet only because it is bonded, but that can easily change if the Nosler stays together in the torture test.

They look to be shorter and maybe easier to stabilize in the 1:30 twist Knight. Can you post a pic that have the two side by side ?
Thanks... Rob
I think you are absolutely correct, the Nosler will stabilize from the Knight 1-30 very easily, with a wider range of velocities than would the Lehigh. The 1-30 twist was designed to handle this length of bullet in the first place.

And even though you might shoot the Nosler at less velocity - that could be good for it and it still could be a very effective bullet on deer class animals...

Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

Thank you for getting back and thanks for the information... have to give the center set next time out....