Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Broke my Knight ram rod >

Broke my Knight ram rod

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Broke my Knight ram rod

Old 03-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
Yep it's a elite. also read his post closely regarding sabot choice. i think he's using a brass brush also which will keep things looking dirty. i always use synthetic and you don't get that continued dirty look.thr bore scrubber MD mentioned is a very good cleaner also. Ray
I do agree with you Ray the reaction of a bronze/brass with the bore will continually cause a black discoloration. I also use the synthetic Montana Extrem brushes.... Fact is though I rarely use a brush ever at all... just have never liked them. There are times but rare!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
As much as I like Hoppe's smell too. I don't think it cleans BH 209 very good. I use Butch's Bore Shine, and it does a good job.
+ 1

i used to use hoppes and while it did okay, towards the breech where the thicker fouling build up was, it was pure hell getting that area without some serious bore brushing.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the advise. Have to stock up on a few new supplies now. You know I think I have a can of super lube that has teflon in it and it may have found it's way into the bore once if I couldnt put my hands on the BreakFree. I can see how that may lead to a build up. But for the life of me, unless a bronze brush is already dirty, I cant see how it will create dirty patches unless there is still something there to clean out. I'm trying to remember something a gunsmith told me once, I think it was about how hard it was to get everything out of a bore, and sometimes it took a soaking with mercury to release it.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

grizzly 2

But for the life of me, unless a bronze brush is already dirty, I cant see how it will create dirty patches unless there is still something there to clean out.
There black residue you see is from a reaction of the to metal rubbing against each other. It really is quite common, switching from the bronze/brass brush to a Synthetic Brush we stop that reaction...

These brushes work very well in lieu of the brass brush...

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/product...roduct=Brushes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
+ 1

i used to use hoppes and while it did okay, towards the breech where the thicker fouling build up was, it was pure hell getting that area without some serious bore brushing.
MD, your take on the Birchwood Casey bore scrubber was spot on. it removes everything and does it with a baby powder smell, which is pleasent compared to hoppe's.. great stuff. Ray
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by builder459
MD, your take on the Birchwood Casey bore scrubber was spot on. it removes everything and does it with a baby powder smell, which is pleasent compared to hoppe's.. great stuff. Ray
Yeah but just be aware that the bulk stuff has more kick to it. I think the spray can helps break down the smell a lot more. I dont smell it though when i am cleaning the bore so i think its just having a big 32oz bottle right under my nose, thats why it smells stronger.

It is some darn good stuff though.

My brother in law challenged me and said oh no, that bore aint clean! He used some sweets 7.62 and did 3 patches, no a spot on that patch.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I do agree with you Ray the reaction of a bronze/brass with the bore will continually cause a black discoloration. I also use the synthetic Montana Extrem brushes.... Fact is though I rarely use a brush ever at all... just have never liked them. There are times but rare!
Mike, if you get a chance buy a small can of bore scrubber, it works really well for cleaning the Bh209 and center fires i imagine also.and it smells good! i bought the foaming gel, MD just uses the aerosol spray...i took Md's advice and wiped the bad fouling out with a dry patch first and it cleaned up quick..no brushing required!! Ray
Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I have a few cans of BC gun scrubber. Do they also make bore scrubber?
Old 03-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
I have a few cans of BC gun scrubber. Do they also make bore scrubber?
Yep they do...
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Dont use gun scrubber in the bore, thats just for greasy stuff and other grime, not good for fouling in the bore.

Heres the bore scrubber,
http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Main...7-79146cc4f03c

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.