Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I could kick myself! >

I could kick myself!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I could kick myself!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Default I could kick myself!

I took the V2 out to the 50 yard range to see how high it shot, at 153 yards i was 2 1/2" high, at 50, i was 2" high! I thought it was a fluke and so i took one more shot, right into the same hole with half a bullet width sticking out the side.

Reloading, i took aim at my big cheeto jug " bulk kind from sams club" I did my usual cement like mixture as its very tough of bullets + the sticky sand wraps up the bullet and makes it easier to find.

Squeezed a shot off and i swear, it was like having shell shock! That heavy 30lb bucket of wet sand jumped straight up into the air and flew back a good 2 feet.

I went to inspect it and recover the bullet, half the face of the jug was blown off and when i picked it up, there was a nickel size hole in the back of it.

I havent had one bullet go through this set up before until today. So the story of these bullets blowing up into tiny pieces is entire BS!

As for the " i could kick myself statement" I KNEW i should have got this one on video! It truly was a sight to see that big jug just lift off the ground.

I used 110gr Blackhorn209, 260gr Harvester PT Gold.

Once i can get a few 5 gallon buckets i will do the test over again but with a safety bucket behind the first for added insurance.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds impressive MD. That would have been nice to see.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

What range was your jug at? Have you recovered many of these PT's? I would assume that like most all lead bullets, they'd flatten out pretty good. I hunted with Buffallo SSB 285gr spitzers for a few years. They anchored many deer, but many times, at closer ranges on broadside shots they would turn inside the deer and exit maybe as much as a foot further back than where they entered. I suspect I was driving them too fast.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
What range was your jug at? Have you recovered many of these PT's? I would assume that like most all lead bullets, they'd flatten out pretty good. I hunted with Buffallo SSB 285gr spitzers for a few years. They anchored many deer, but many times, at closer ranges on broadside shots they would turn inside the deer and exit maybe as much as a foot further back than where they entered. I suspect I was driving them too fast.
your experience with the pure lead SSB is common when shooting a pure lead bullet. the PT is a bit harder and electro plated with copper. Ray
Old 03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Banned

today was 50 yards
Old 03-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the report MD.

I like what I'm hearing as I'm a PT Gold shooter. This talk of breaking up has me thinking twice but it sounds like it's just talk.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep - one shot proves it and wipes out everyone else's experience.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Yep - one shot proves it and wipes out everyone else's experience.
And we know wet sand will cause a bullet to react in a hydraulic fashion. I believe the MAX report is in error too but its not a fair comparison by either one.

Ive turned several Rainier bullets into pancakes with media that does produce the desired hydraulic effect...yes they are made by Rainier for Harvester. Ive called Rainier and confirmed it.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Josmund
Thanks for the report MD.

I like what I'm hearing as I'm a PT Gold shooter. This talk of breaking up has me thinking twice but it sounds like it's just talk.
A picture of the PT broken up into little pieces with the biggest piece being 36gr is talk? That picture was the best one he tested.

He used the same gel for the test that the FBI and the bullet manufactures uses.

Max is an independent tester that has to buy all the bullets and equipment to test it out of his own pocket. I've been talking to him quite a bit by mail, and I believe he's an honest guy.

He's stocking up on Thors for a test coming up. He expects good results, because his hunting buddies use them with great results.

My dad always taught me that you get what you pay for. Thors are expensive. PT's are cheap. Figure it out.

Of course there are exceptions. PowerBelts. Expensive junk.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
A picture of the PT broken up into little pieces with the biggest piece being 36gr is talk? That picture was the best one he tested.

He used the same gel for the test that the FBI and the bullet manufactures uses.

Max is an independent tester that has to buy all the bullets and equipment to test it out of his own pocket. I've been talking to him quite a bit by mail, and I believe he's an honest guy.
Where are these pics? Not doubting you at all, just haven't seen this report. I went with the PT Golds this past season (my first ML season) because I could get them to shoot the best in my ML (1 MOA) and I didn't have a ton of time to experiment with many different loads (tried 5 different bullets). I had just two kills (140yds & 50yds), but both left large exit wounds (the 140yd kill exit wound was quite massive), neither which would lead me to believe that the bullets broke apart.

The bullets are not all that expensive but neither are Gold Dots (Deep Curls) and there are, oh I dunno, one...MAYBE two folks on this board that swear by them.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 03-21-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: That would be "WOUND," not "would."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.