HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   BH209 first time use (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/341866-bh209-first-time-use.html)

builder459 03-13-2011 03:12 PM

BH209 first time use

Well today was my first time out with BH209, i was using 110 gr loads with 300 gr Deep curls.i must say that not having to swab out the nasty crud ring made the session a lot more enjoyable.i shot 30 rounds today with no hang fires. instant ignition every time with STS primers. clean up took the same amount of time as 777 normally takes. i used Lee's 50/50 mixture of hoppe's/alcohol in the barrel. the breech plug i soaked in windex/ vinegar followed by a 1/8 bit.BP cleaning took no longer than when i clean it with 777. always soaked BP even with 777.myself like many others that use 777 and develop a nasty hard crud ring.making a quick second shot in a hunting situation impossible. with BH 209 the 1st shot loaded as nicely as the 30th.definite plus!i have to be honest the only downside i can see to using Bh209 is the cost.most people in this sport only use 1 maybe 2 jugs a year and for those people the additional cost is minimal.and the benefits i mentioned IMHO are worth the cost. for those people who shoot constantly and use multiple jugs, cost becomes a factor and they may want to stick with 777 or whatever else there using. either way, everyone should give it a try.. Ray

Omega45 03-13-2011 04:04 PM

I have found it is such a joy to shoot I tend to shoot more!!!!!!!!!!!! Any accuracy with that load combo? I found in my Omega 100 and 110gr with 250gr Deep Curls shot just about the same.

Gm54-120 03-13-2011 06:28 PM

I buy my BH209 when its on sale for the same price as T7 unless i run out. Cabelas has it on sale for $24.99 once or twice a year and i get at least 8 jugs during each sale.

This year im going to play with some Swiss and try T7 again in my Elite 45 just to see if the MX products and use (break in) has made a crud ring difference. IF i can get off 6 shots accurately without swabbing i will keep more T7 on hand when its on sale.

I can shoot cheaper powders and clean even less but i still enjoy my Knights with BH209 more than that option for now.

BH209 though has made my overall shooting time more enjoyable and its worth the extra. Just like a good single malt vs a blend malt scotch. They both get you hammered but one is much more fun getting there. :D

builder459 03-13-2011 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Omega45 (Post 3786057)
I have found it is such a joy to shoot I tend to shoot more!!!!!!!!!!!! Any accuracy with that load combo? I found in my Omega 100 and 110gr with 250gr Deep Curls shot just about the same.

The 300 gr deep curl and 110 gr BH did ok today! not what i am looking for,but i had the lady and my son there shooting the Knight wolverine youth stock and i also bought a man size stock for the wolverine and was shooting 460 gr No-excuse conicals with 70 gr pyrodex with promising accuracy. i load the 9 yr old and the lil lady up with 70 gr pyrodex and a .250 gr deep curl, with a MMP - 24 sabot they were plinkin at 25 yds and actually shooting real well lol.next time out i am going alone and bringing the wolverine with conicals and pyro and work the Triumph some more with the 300 gr D C and BH.if i can't get the DC's to do what i want, it's back to Barnes in the 295 gr flavor and practise with the 300 gr DC. Ray

Johnmorris 03-14-2011 05:35 AM

I like to clean up BH209 with Montana Cowboy. It removes lead and plastic plus the bore crud. You should clean 209 like regular smokeless powder.

lemoyne 03-14-2011 06:29 AM

I find it gives me the best price to buy BH by the case from powder valley since I use about that much a year or a bit more it works well for me. I realize that some one who only uses a can a year would be better off buying by the can.
One of the other things I have come to realize is that once you establish your loads and the newness of not having to swab wares off that you really don't shoot a lot more. When you get the right wad pressure and the right sabot for you climate worked out or as I have to switch sabots when the temperature runs above 75 things can get very consistent.

Michael396 03-20-2011 03:10 PM

The big bonus for me is the smell or should I say lack of.