Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Buying my first ML >

Buying my first ML

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying my first ML

Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

As builder said... I also have Triumph, Omega, and Knights + a few others. I no longer have any CVA's. But they were the older models.

Of three mention above, I would still rate the Knight DISC Elite/Extreme the better of the three in most situations. For my self the second choice would be very easy. The Omega in real stainless is about as nice and accurate as it gets with a drop bock action. The triumph while it is a great accurate gun would rate in there but i am not sure it would rate above my White or Remington 700ML.

Your rating system could and might be completely different.

A suggestion... If you have some friends or you know of a range or a place that people shoot ML's... I would make a trip and watch what was going on and how it is being done.

Next I would suggest you PM Cayugad and get his introduction to muzzleloading list of suppied and things to do. He has these already in a canned form and drop them right in you mailbox...

Al of us can chime in but it would be somewhat disjointed while his are planned and in sequence...

I could post this picture of my ML box but it would not mean a lot until you have his list....

Old 03-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
As builder said... I also have Triumph, Omega, and Knights + a few others. I no longer have any CVA's. But they were the older models.

Of three mention above, I would still rate the Knight DISC Elite/Extreme the better of the three in most situations. For my self the second choice would be very easy. The Omega in real stainless is about as nice and accurate as it gets with a drop bock action. The triumph while it is a great accurate gun would rate in there but i am not sure it would rate above my White or Remington 700ML.

Your rating system could and might be completely different.

A suggestion... If you have some friends or you know of a range or a place that people shoot ML's... I would make a trip and watch what was going on and how it is being done.

Next I would suggest you PM Cayugad and get his introduction to muzzleloading list of suppied and things to do. He has these already in a canned form and drop them right in you mailbox...

Al of us can chime in but it would be somewhat disjointed while his are planned and in sequence...

I could post this picture of my ML box but it would not mean a lot until you have his list....

I figured you might rate the various rifles that way Mike, since you are not a fan of break actions "alias" in the minority! Ray!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 AM
Typical Buck

I.M.O you can't get a better gun for the money with a Triumph. I own and love my Prohunter but it is over priced. If you look around a few on here bought Knights for around 300 new within the last week or so.. Just BEWARE one gun could turn into a bad habit.............ANd before you know it you own 5.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I tend to agree with Mike, Sabotloader, also. I have had numerous types of muzzleloaders over the years and although the break actions are a little easier to clean, I much prefer the bolt actions myself. They just seem to be more solid in construction and less slop in them. Again this is my opinion.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice complete Dream Season available here with scope.

At that price you should have a good gun and scope with a fair investment. I bet he is open to offers closer to $400
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/muzz...x40-omega.html

Ive handled the Dream Season and it does balance very nice. The barrel looks really cool IMO.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-10-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 Knights and I just bought a Pro Hunter. I like my Knights. I haven't had a chance to shoot the Pro Hunter yet due to about a foot of snow still back where I shoot, but I can tell you take down and cleaning is much quicker with the Pro Hunter. I personally right now would rank my Pro Hunter above my Knights, but I may be the minority there. They're both excellent quality gun makers and I don't think either one would be a bad choice.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Do you plan on using BH with your MLer? what's wrong with regular Pyrodox Lose Powder or Pellets? both will work just fine with the V2. I have'nt tried BH nor do I ever plan to. I am totally satisfied with using Pyrodox RS Lose Powder and Pyrodox Pellets. My (regular) ACCURA cleans up in minutes using them and the SS Bergara Barrel is accurate as hell.
Have you considered looking for one of the older ACCURA V1's? If you can find one it's one heck of a shooter, I have 3. Im not pushing the ACCURA's just trying to help as you mentioned the V2. And many dont use BH for Powder and have got along just fine without it. And as for the QRBP, I also could care less about having one, I never once had to remove My BP fast, it only takes a few seconds to remove the regular screw in stlye with the wrench provided.
So I guess Im trying to say dont get all caught up with the NEW, the OLD works just as good and will continue to do so for a long time.
Best of Luck to You.
(BP)
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
I figured you might rate the various rifles that way Mike, since you are not a fan of break actions "alias" in the minority! Ray!
True, Break open shot guns are great but break open rifles over time - not much of a fan. I think the Ruger #1 is a great example of the problems that MAY become possible.

But you know really my biggest objection to most of them... is the pull back hammer to shoot. Same reason I went away from my old 30-30 centuries ago. It is just not as smooth, quiet, and timely as a trigger safety.

One year with my Omega, and I love my Omega, it was snowing and sleeting early in the morning (really wet). I was hunting in the timber and brush but them it cleared up and got really cold. I jumped a buck in just below me, pulled the rifle up - tried to pull the hammer back - no go - it was frozen. I blew warm air on it for a few seconds and bingo it started working again, always been a little leary since then. I did after that start lubricating the hammer trigger assembly with the spay graphite that locksmiths use to unfreeze locks.

Lesson learned... that i what life is for...
Old 03-10-2011, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya Breechplug. I save a lot of money by not thinking I always have to have the "latest and greatest". There are some very reasonably priced older style guns out there that do the job. Dead is Dead. I think the manufacturers keep coming up with something new not because we need it but only to encourage sales.
Art
Old 03-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Nice complete Dream Season available here with scope.

At that price you should have a good gun and scope with a fair investment. I bet he is open to offers closer to $400
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/muzz...x40-omega.html

Ive handled the Dream Season and it does balance very nice. The barrel looks really cool IMO.

Thanks,
I did like the way that model looks, I have a Remington 700 XHR with a similar triangular shaped barrel. Just doing some research and hoping to hold a few guns at the shop asap to make a choice.

Looking at a couple used guns to try to save a dollar
Omega Dream season and/or Omega with Laminate thumb hole stock

Again, I thank everyone for their input and advice.