Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Buying my first ML >

Buying my first ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying my first ML

Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Spike

I thank everyone for their input, opinions, and suggestions. Its a great piece of dialogue going on, so please keep it coming.

I'm not saying much here but believe me I am listening and learning from you all.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Stay in your little dream world if you think I spent 900.00 on my latest Pro Hunter build.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

LonRainJer

for an starter rifle, best for the money, CVA wolf. you should be able to find an used, with an older style breech plug. only thing I did not like about the wolf was the stock. felt light to me, but I have been shooting sidelocks with hard wood stocks vs Tupperware stocks a lot more lately.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

I think I would take a look at a Knight. Great triggers, barrels, breech plugs, shoulders well and very accurate. Just my .02 worth.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
one shouldnt have to spend $900 on an encore and then spend more money of fixing heavy triggers, weak lock up springs because the factory didnt do it right?
Yes, but when you pull that heavy trigger. It fires.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

LonRainJer

Just my 2 bits but if you look in the thread I posted I really agree with onetohunt... look hard at a Knight...
Old 03-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by LonRainJer
......................Its a great piece of dialogue going on, so please keep it coming......................
Myself, i have 2 Omega, a Triumph, an Accura, and an Accura V2.

The best trigger is on one of them Omega. It is light, crisp, and clean i.e. it is near perfect. The other Omega trigger is stiffer, and has a little creep. The Triumph trigger is stiffer, but breaks real nice. The Accura trigger has gotten lighter with age, and the creep and grittiness it had in the beginning, are nearly gone. The Accura V2 trigger is light enough, but has a little creep, and is some gritty.

The OEM Omega breech plug is the only OEM plug from my rifles, that has never failed to ignite BH in all conditions. Some may be negative regarding this plug because it requires a tool to install and remove. This doesn't affect my opinion of this plug at all, because the tool is a 7/16" socket, which just about anybody has in their pickup.

The OEM Triumph breech plug has been very very very good igniting BH, except for a couple of hiccups. The original breech plug in my Triumph needed to have the o-ring replaced. No big deal, but it is something i never had to do for an Omega plug. I managed to damage the compression rings at the front of this plug whilst cleaning it. Now, i need to use a home made tool to install it into my rifle. It still removes without using a tool. I like this plug because it requires no lube or anti-seize or teflon tape. I don't like this plug, because it requires a special tool to install, whereas the Omega plug, installs with a standard, found anywhere, 7/16" socket.

The OEM Accura breech plug only cost me one deer, when it failed to ignite BH. It has been replaced with a plug i made. The breech plug in this rifle is my favorite, because i made it myself, and it ignites BH as good as the Omega breech plug. Actually, i don't think it is my favorite, simply because it requires me to wrap it with teflon tape, when it is installed. I like this plug because it requires a standard 12mm socket to install and remove. All the bolts etc on my Ford are metric, so i always have a 12mm socket with.

The QRBP in my Accura V2 is a real nice plug, but it isn't OEM. After my experiences with the Accura, i didn't bother to try the OEM V2 plug. I modified it before i tried it the first time. It works perfectly igniting BH, and has been tested down to at least -13 degrees, and perhaps colder. This breech plug makes a near perfect seal with the barrel without the use of grease or teflon tape. This breech plug is not a copy of anything TC has ever made. It is just too bad CVA didn't get it right when they made this plug, however the fix is trivial, and simple. MY fix for this plug has been posted more than once on these forum, and believe me, it works 100% of the time. This plug installs and removes quite readily without tools.

My TC rifles came from the factory with zero or very little excess headspace. My CVA rifles came from the factory with much excess headspace. Manufacturing tolerances seem to be some tighter at the TC factory than they are at the CVA factory.

My CVA rifles are accurate. My TC rifles are accurate enough to have accounted for many deers.

My TC rifles are light, compact, and slim, which makes for a good carry whilst hunting. My CVA rifles are heavier, but can still be packed around whilst hunting. My CVA rifles seem clunky, but i have grown to like their feel.

I need 2 rifles. One for muzzle loader season, which can't be scoped; the other for rifle season, which is scoped. I actually need a third rifle for our son, so he can hunt here during our muzzle loader season. Oops, i need a fourth rifle for the prairie deer season, which will be sighted in with a longer range bullet than i use in the hills. This leaves me with one extra rifle, but i don't want to decide which rifle to part with.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I say try to go handle a Knight or two if you can find one.

Otherwise in the new T/Cs, i like the Dream Season Omega and the Triumphs best.
In the new CVA lineup i would get the cheaper NEW Optima. It felt better to me than the new Accura and cost less. If i was going to spend the money on a new Accura, i would just get an Apex instead. Its only a few bucks more and you can swap barrels.

Then if its not your cup of tea, any of them will get a decent return and not be out much if you sell.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin
Myself, i have 2 Omega, a Triumph, an Accura, and an Accura V2.

The best trigger is on one of them Omega. It is light, crisp, and clean i.e. it is near perfect. The other Omega trigger is stiffer, and has a little creep. The Triumph trigger is stiffer, but breaks real nice. The Accura trigger has gotten lighter with age, and the creep and grittiness it had in the beginning, are nearly gone. The Accura V2 trigger is light enough, but has a little creep, and is some gritty.

The OEM Omega breech plug is the only OEM plug from my rifles, that has never failed to ignite BH in all conditions. Some may be negative regarding this plug because it requires a tool to install and remove. This doesn't affect my opinion of this plug at all, because the tool is a 7/16" socket, which just about anybody has in their pickup.

The OEM Triumph breech plug has been very very very good igniting BH, except for a couple of hiccups. The original breech plug in my Triumph needed to have the o-ring replaced. No big deal, but it is something i never had to do for an Omega plug. I managed to damage the compression rings at the front of this plug whilst cleaning it. Now, i need to use a home made tool to install it into my rifle. It still removes without using a tool. I like this plug because it requires no lube or anti-seize or teflon tape. I don't like this plug, because it requires a special tool to install, whereas the Omega plug, installs with a standard, found anywhere, 7/16" socket.

The OEM Accura breech plug only cost me one deer, when it failed to ignite BH. It has been replaced with a plug i made. The breech plug in this rifle is my favorite, because i made it myself, and it ignites BH as good as the Omega breech plug. Actually, i don't think it is my favorite, simply because it requires me to wrap it with teflon tape, when it is installed. I like this plug because it requires a standard 12mm socket to install and remove. All the bolts etc on my Ford are metric, so i always have a 12mm socket with.

The QRBP in my Accura V2 is a real nice plug, but it isn't OEM. After my experiences with the Accura, i didn't bother to try the OEM V2 plug. I modified it before i tried it the first time. It works perfectly igniting BH, and has been tested down to at least -13 degrees, and perhaps colder. This breech plug makes a near perfect seal with the barrel without the use of grease or teflon tape. This breech plug is not a copy of anything TC has ever made. It is just too bad CVA didn't get it right when they made this plug, however the fix is trivial, and simple. MY fix for this plug has been posted more than once on these forum, and believe me, it works 100% of the time. This plug installs and removes quite readily without tools.

My TC rifles came from the factory with zero or very little excess headspace. My CVA rifles came from the factory with much excess headspace. Manufacturing tolerances seem to be some tighter at the TC factory than they are at the CVA factory.

My CVA rifles are accurate. My TC rifles are accurate enough to have accounted for many deers.

My TC rifles are light, compact, and slim, which makes for a good carry whilst hunting. My CVA rifles are heavier, but can still be packed around whilst hunting. My CVA rifles seem clunky, but i have grown to like their feel.

I need 2 rifles. One for muzzle loader season, which can't be scoped; the other for rifle season, which is scoped. I actually need a third rifle for our son, so he can hunt here during our muzzle loader season. Oops, i need a fourth rifle for the prairie deer season, which will be sighted in with a longer range bullet than i use in the hills. This leaves me with one extra rifle, but i don't want to decide which rifle to part with.
Ron, what was said is CVA created their QRBP after T/C released there version much sooner. wasn't meant to mean there exact copies...since in fact they are not lol ! Ray
Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
I think I would take a look at a Knight. Great triggers, barrels, breech plugs, shoulders well and very accurate. Just my .02 worth.
Personally i would look hard at the Triumph, yes i own one. if you read reviews on the web, you will discover this is one of the most accurate saboted bullet shooting rifles out of the box on the market.especially if you plan to scope it. excellent trigger, lite weight,BH friendly, extremely clean when shooting.easy to use BP, no blow by.. Knights are also nice rifles.i am just not a bolt action fan on a muzzleloader rifle..and they have some issues to clear up IMHO.. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.