Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Buying my first ML >

Buying my first ML

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying my first ML

Old 03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Spike

Default Buying my first ML

I have never owned or even shot a ML but for some reason I agreed to join a friend on a SE Kansas whitetail deer ML hunt this coming Sept.

So, now I need to go buy a ML to make this happen.

1) Does price gauge what is a good ML?
doubt it

2) Should you select a middle of the road model to learn to shoot?

3) Is accuracy similar in most models?

4) Does it matter if its a break barrel or a bolt action model

I have been looking at a couple models; CVA Accura V2 or the TC Encore ProHunter XT

Was going to get the CVA and then I recently read about the QRBP problems while using Blackhorn powder.

I like the looks of the TC but it seems expensive as a first ML rifle.

Any comments, suggestions, or ideas for a beginner?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

problem with BH209 in the Accura plug is soon to be solved. They have new plugs coming out for them.

Its pretty simple to fix without buying a new plug though, takes around 2 minutes to do the work.

I have the V2 Accura and its a heck of a shooter, trigger is very light and crisp.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Spike

I do like the way the CVA Accura V2 felt when I was holding it. It is definitely I lot less money also.

I just wanted to hear a few opinions on both MLs and not make it all about costs but more so about true happiness of ownership now and into the future.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

i would suggest going to a few gun shops and throw as many to your shoulder as you can find,and check the triggers too.....karl
Old 03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

I see no breaking news on CVA's website about a new breech plug for BH209. Hmmmmmmm

Last I heard was Western Powders designed a new V2 plug and CVA said its not the plug its the powder and wanted nothing to do with it. Appears MAX Muzzleloading, Russel Lynch, is buying a Traditions to play with due to CVA's inability to take responsibility for there breech plug design. It's very easy to figure out by reading his blog he is dissatisfied with CVA's action to make their plug BH209 compliant.

Can you post a link to the new breech plug CVA is going too. I have already seen Western Powders plug for the V2 not CVA's.

http://www.maxmuzzleloaderblog.com/
Old 03-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Omega45
I see no breaking news on CVA's website about a new breech plug for BH209. Hmmmmmmm

Last I heard was Western Powders designed a new V2 plug and CVA said its not the plug its the powder and wanted nothing to do with it. Appears MAX Muzzleloading, Russel Lynch, is buying a Traditions to play with due to CVA's inability to take responsibility for there breech plug design. It's very easy to figure out by reading his blog he is dissatisfied with CVA's action to make their plug BH209 compliant.

Can you post a link to the new breech plug CVA is going too. I have already seen Western Powders plug for the V2 not CVA's.

http://www.maxmuzzleloaderblog.com/
I have read his blog and I have to agree. My thoughts are its not the ML itself that I am discouraged with, it is the lack of response from CVA. The inability or lack of professionalism from CVA to address this issue and/or at least test the fixed breech plug that was provided to them would have went a long way with me.

I still like the Accura V2, just not CVAs approach to the issue.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The advice karl gave you to shoulder different rifles is very good. It is hard to shoot a rifle that doesn't fit. I think most rifles are capable of very good accuracy these days. Might want to see if there are any regulations in Kansas that might influence what rifle you can use.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go to a bass pro, cabelas etc and shoulder some rifles from various M/L companys, before i made any kind of decision on what to buy. CVA's, optima, accura and wolf. T/C encore/ pro hunter, omega, and triumph. as far as breech plugs and BH209 are concerned ,T/C products mentioned won't need any mods with proper cleaning and primers. CVa's breech plugs will need some mods for certain. IMHO traditions isn't in the picture yet...as far as knight rifles, if you like bolts or need a rifle that is open breech and require the use of #11 caps, there the ticket..handle all of them prior to buying and do some reviews. then make a decision. in the right hands with the right bullet and sabot combos, there all capable of excellent shot grouping.. Ray
Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Banned

must not have read Max' newest post about CVA giving in and going to have the new plugs made. Either way, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to make the plug work 100% of the time. Actually you can make them BETTER than any other plug on the market when you do the work yourself or have someone do it for you.

MAX Muzzleloader Accuracy Xperts
The ball is rolling on the new breech plug that will have CVA rifles up and running full steam and on the very top of their game. Thanks for all your input and support. I will post some of the emails I've received over the past few days on my blog very soon. Thanks to Blackhorn for their hard work and to CVA as well for listening.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Before I decide what rifle to purchase... check the laws of the state you want to hunt, pertaining to muzzleloaders. Make sure they have no requirements like exposed breech, scopes, etc. Then after you're sure what rifle you can and can not use, pick the rifle that fits you and your budget. Make is a .50 caliber. And a 1-28 twist if an inline.

The Accura, Pro Hunter, Triumph, etc and some of the other top of the line rifles are going to work fine. But if this is a one time hunt, or even a one time here and maybe a one time there... Cabela's has a Tradition's Timber Ridge .50 caliber blue/black that will shoot just fine out to 100 yards for most people. And it costs $89.00. Just find the load it likes, and that is not too hard. I see no reason to spend hundreds of dollars for something that will not be used. Unless your made of money. This rifle is all you would need. Then if you like the sport, pick a better rifle and have the Timber Ridge as a back up or loaner rifle.

Then again, you might like the sport and really get into it. Also I know everyone likes inlines it seems. Personally if I knew that GMB was around and made barrels for my Renegade, I probably would only own a couple White inline rifles and the rest would be traditional rifles. Don't over look the traditional rifle. It will really make hunting interesting and a challenge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.