Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dipping a stock

Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Banned

Default Dipping a stock

Thanks to sabotloader ive been looking around at some places to dip a stock. Im not going with camo, instead im looking at burl wood patterns for my optima. I think with the stainless steel barrel, it'd really set things off on it.

Anyone ever have a stock dipped in the burl wood? They have a ton of patterns and ive picked out a few to print out and hold up against the stock to get an ideer.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Thanks to sabotloader ive been looking around at some places to dip a stock. Im not going with camo, instead im looking at burl wood patterns for my optima. I think with the stainless steel barrel, it'd really set things off on it.

Anyone ever have a stock dipped in the burl wood? They have a ton of patterns and ive picked out a few to print out and hold up against the stock to get an ideer.
burl wood? MD it's not a Bentley, it's a muzzle loader lmao!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

i want a nice pattern. Burl wood and Stainless look really good together!

Im not all that into camo though.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

My Lyman Mustang has a dipped wood grain figure over what appears to be plain white beech wood. Looks darn nice and has held up fine for five years.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

MD54, are you looking at a do it yourself or factory done job.. Seen em on EBay for a good price. Ive got a Handi Rifle in .357Max I am thinking about doing.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow Semi - where have you been hiding that beauty? I like it.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those Lymans do look and feel pretty nice in real life. You can barely tell its not real wood grain and its steel on steel lockup is pretty tight. Im still looking for a Pedersoli Denali which is very similar.

Im getting one of my Knight stocks dipped in wood grain too. Actually the burl type will likely work out better on a TH stock. Im considering a faux gray laminate but im not sure how it will turn out on a TH stock. Ive seen some faux burl wood on a few stocks and it didn't look that bad at all. B&C used a similar pattern on some old Knight TH stocks used on the MK85s but they are very rare.

This is one of the old B&C stocks and BTW they still offer the service too.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 03-07-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

most likely will have someone dip my stock. I read however that you should allow the stock to cure/harden for 30 days after the stocks been dipped!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive done a bunch of playing with the home dip kits. it will cost you like 100$ with shipping to do a stock. your paying for proper base coats and primer. unless you have the time to fuss with and getting the proper tools i would send it out. ive been told burl looks better than the wood patterns with the long grains in it. unfortunately going by photos isint the best. if you have a dip facility nearby best to go look or ask for samples from the company your dealing with. then you have to decide on the type of clear coat. to me wood is always gonna look better with a shiny finish but theres a point those dips are gonna look fake like some plastic car dashboards. also consider that some gun cleaning chemicals will eat your finish. if you can get them to use something like duracoat for your clear finish its much tougher and after a few weeks of curing not much will eat its finish off.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:48 PM
mountaineer magic

MD have you checked out hydro Dip? They have some great Burl patterns and they are very reasonable with a fast turn around time. The Burl wood will look really nice that's for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.