Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Omega Barrel Problem?? >

Omega Barrel Problem??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Barrel Problem??

Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Omega Barrel Problem??

I'm not sure I have a problem or not. I'd prefer to not have the problem at all. Tell what you think?

Yesterday I went to the range to sight in the iron sights. I'll be scoping it next week, but I just wanted to see how it shot the iron sights, and generally how the gun felt.

My BH 209 and sabots are being shipped to me. So, all I had to shoot was some PowerBelt 223 gr and T7 3F. Not the best choice for my gun, but better than nothing.

I started at 25 yds. I used 85 gr for a load. First couple of shots were 8" high to the left. I moved the rear sight right and down. More shots and i was online, but still high. More shots and sight adjustment, and I was still high by 6". I had the rear sight as low as it would go and still have room for the set screw to make contact.

At that point I could see no reason to continue. This morning I called TC, and talked to a tech. He hadn't run into that problem before, but told me to not shoot PB's in the gun. I told him I understood that, and planned to shoot sabots all the time when they showed up. I also thought the PB's should have shot good enough to bring it down to center. He agreed. I told him I probably wouldn't use the iron sights unless I was lucky enough to draw a ML tag. A long shot at best in my area. As a band aid he's sending me a taller front sight. I'm sure that will fix the problem, but not really. I worry that the barrel has a problem.

I'm sure with a scope and sabots the gun will shoot fine. However, i'm still uncomfortable with it having the problem with iron sights.

What do you guys think?

btw he said I could send the gun in, but would probably take months to get it back because they're moving to S&W. I'd rather not do that.

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 03-03-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

they sent me replacement sights for my omega as well but it still shot around 8" high at 50 yards with 80gr pyrodex rs and a 405gr powerbelt.

Worse comes to shove, buy some good sights that offer more adjustment.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
they sent me replacement sights for my omega as well but it still shot around 8" high at 50 yards with 80gr pyrodex rs and a 405gr powerbelt.

Worse comes to shove, buy some good sights that offer more adjustment.

Or just leave the scope on it and forget the ML season.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Mine does not like Powerbelts. I would rather shoot saboted bullets anyway. I have heard of the iron sight issues but all my muzzys are scoped. Once you scope it and shoot the Harvester PT's I think you will be pleased with the outcome.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:04 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

i had the same problem with my X7 omega.called t/c and they sent me a taller front sight,problem solved......karl
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
i had the same problem with my X7 omega.called t/c and they sent me a taller front sight,problem solved......karl
bingo lol!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes a taller front sight would be my request to T/C also. Maybe try pushing the bullets a little harder with say 100 grs.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by kb1
Same with my X7. But I didn't bother to get a taller sight because I knew the gun would always wear a scope.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good to hear my barrel is ok.