HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Tested trigger pull on 2 muzzys (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/341023-tested-trigger-pull-2-muzzys.html)

MountainDevil54 02-26-2011 08:45 PM

Tested trigger pull on 2 muzzys

my brother in law as i found out tonight had an RCBS trigger scale tucked away! Pulled out mu '10 Optima and his '10 Wolf.

My Optima broke at 33oz on 5 tries.

His Wolf broke at 47oz

That Optima's trigger i knew felt light but you just don't know until you put them on a scale. I am bringing my brothers V2 Accura up here next week and weigh that suckers trigger pull!

quake 02-26-2011 10:28 PM

A 2lb. 1oz. trigger on the Optima? Wow, that is light! Is the trigger-pull adjustable on the Wolf, Optima and Accura? I don't know much about CVA rifles.

Muley Hunter 02-27-2011 07:49 AM

The set trigger on my Hawken is 11oz. Very touchy.

My new Omega is 3 lb 3oz. Just right.

Accura is the only one with an adjustable trigger. Nice feature, but the one I had came with a 3lb trigger and I never touched the adjustment.

MountainDevil54 02-27-2011 08:52 AM

only the Accura V2 and Apex come with adjustable triggers.

Im sure the Wolf will loosen up once i take it apart and spray out the action with some gun scrubber. The factory can get a bit over heavy with the grease and that tends to make things heavier in the trigger department. Follow up with a shot of Barricade and it'll be good to go. Practically a new rifle still and so my bro in law just needs to sit down and learn how to shoot it. That boy was doing some trash talking and while i had 4 out of 5 shots touching at 100 yards, With the same rifle "Optima" he had a 8" 3 shot string group LOL. He shut up after that.

lonewolf5348 02-27-2011 10:31 AM

My son Accura with the thumb-hole stock 2009 model has to be around 2 lbs a little scary when hunting with gloves on and cold fingers:

builder459 02-27-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by lonewolf5348 (Post 3779448)
My son Accura with the thumb-hole stock 2009 model has to be around 2 lbs a little scary when hunting with gloves on and cold fingers:

2 lbs is far to low IMHO for a hunting rifle. 3-3.5 is much safer.... Ray

sabotloader 02-27-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3779450)
2 lbs is far to low IMHO for a hunting rifle. 3-3.5 is much safer.... Ray

I think most hunters would agree totally with you and I know the factories even want more because of all the court cases. And this same subject has been presented before but it is easier to ignore.

And then on the other hand if your efforts are directed at paper targets that is a pretty decent trigger pull.

MountainDevil54 02-27-2011 02:43 PM

its perfect for hunting for me. I hate gloved, especially a gloved trigger finger, it doesnt allow you to actually get a good feel on the trigger. We've been though this before in the past, but i use wool mittens with the first 4 fingers being able to be exposed just by wankin back on the flip on-off cover. $13 from walmart or kmart and they keep my bony fingers warm LOL.

My brother in laws Wolf's trigger was lighter than his savage 270's and that really made him mad LOL.

builder459 02-27-2011 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3779519)
its perfect for hunting for me. I hate gloved, especially a gloved trigger finger, it doesnt allow you to actually get a good feel on the trigger. We've been though this before in the past, but i use wool mittens with the first 4 fingers being able to be exposed just by wankin back on the flip on-off cover. $13 from walmart or kmart and they keep my bony fingers warm LOL.

My brother in laws Wolf's trigger was lighter than his savage 270's and that really made him mad LOL.

As you know i shoot with a bare finger also. the problem isn't the gloves, it's the fact that hunting rifles get jarred and banged around and can possibly go off without your finger even on the trigger when the pull is that lite.always better safe than sorry... Ray

Gm54-120 02-27-2011 02:57 PM

Im a bit cautious in the field too but my MK did come from the factory with about 2.5lb trigger. All the rest i have set at about 3-3.5lbs and almost no creep or over travel. I could go lighter but i dont see the need. That amount is fine with the creep set really low and its good enough for 100 yard cloverleafs.