Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Well the Lehighs passed my test in Texas! >

Well the Lehighs passed my test in Texas!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Well the Lehighs passed my test in Texas!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default Well the Lehighs passed my test in Texas!

Well I'm back from what was a great hunt for hogs in Texas!! I had bought the Knight MHC and put the Lehigh conversion kit in it and also went with the Lehigh 275 grain DOA bullet with the MMP orange sabot(thanks Sabotloader), pushed with 110 grains of BH209 and a CCI primer, topped with a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 scope. Let me say that I was a little sceptical at the big hollow point instead of poly tip. I had been using the TMZ's and liked them but wanted to reach outside of the box and try something new. Well I got the new Knight to shooting pretty good, with the Lehighs so that was my bullet of choice for this hunt. All I will say is that I will not doubt this bullet at all. I have not played with it to see how it will shoot out to 250 yards but I plan on this spring. Let's get to the hunt. First hog was at 85 yards quartering to me, I placed the crosshairs on the right front shoulder and made a perfect shot with the bullet exiting the opposite side just behind the front shoulder. The hog weighed in at 175 pounds and it ran about 35 yards.
The second hog was the prize hog of the hunt. It was a 325 pound boar and I shot it broadside at 160 yards. I put it right at the top of the shoulder and the bullet exited the other side behind the shoulder. The big boar ran about 60 yards, how I don't know with the damaged that was done. Mind you this is a very large animal with very tough body parts. At this distance, I was 1. very impressed with the energy of the bullet and 2. very impressed with the accuracy of the bullet.
My third hog was a little meat hog about 40 pounds and I shot it in the neck and it dropped in its tracks. I shot it about 45 yards. My fourth hog was another good meat hog at about 70 pounds and I shot it in the neck at 116 and it dropped in its tracks. Needless to say 4 shots and 4 hogs is a great hunt. I will be fine tuning this bullet with this powder to where I'm less than 1 inch at a 100 yards. There is no doubt that this bullet will perform in my eyes, especially after what it done to the big boar. All I can say is that I'm a believer!! I would have posted some pics but I can't get them to resize for this sight.

Last edited by onetohunt; 02-24-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

congratulations on a successful hunt.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice shooting and harvest. That size Lehigh is one of my favorites too.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report onetohunt, and good shooting (but you've got to work on that picture thing ).

What kind of weather did you have for the hunt?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your successful hunt!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had a good time and thats what it all about, congratulations
Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Good report onetohunt, and good shooting (but you've got to work on that picture thing ).

What kind of weather did you have for the hunt?
Our weather started out a little cool and very windy, the second day warmed up but with high winds and the last evening was very nice. Overall, very good weather.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

cant ask fer much more than that.
open the pics in a photo editor, there should be a re-size option somewhere.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

onetohunt

Congrats on the hunt!!! Dang! that was a great hunt.....

I honestly believe the Lehigh .458/275 is probably one of the most universal bullet made.

What i really wish is that we would have traded places places for those few days.... I would have loved the cool weather, the thrill of the hunt, the success of those bullets and everything else about your hunt, not to mention the use of one great rifle...

See you could have been here and watch this collection of snow in the last week and half....

Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go 4 hogs 4 shots thats what its all about sounds like you had a great hunt now for some good eatin.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.