Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzleloader hunting >

Muzzleloader hunting

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader hunting

Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I started with flintlocks back in the 70s...I'm also a huge history buff and grew up hunting so it just was natural for me to want to hunt with a flintlock...Through the years I have built my own flinter, put together an outfit from the American Revolution and given and attended many talks on Colonial America...Kids love these talks and you are teaching them history...At the end of the talk, I always give them a demonstration of how to load and fire a flintlock...They scream with joy and beg me to do it again...

I've also had a young fellow that remembered my talk from years ago...He built a .40 caliber flintlock and hunts with it...He just got back fom a tour in Afghanistan as a sniper...Currently he is in training to be a game warden...
That's really neat, nchawkeye. Nice job Sir.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ShdBHuntng
What are some of the pros and cons of muzzleloader hunting? I have never owned or shot a muzzleloader but I am very interested in getting started, so I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of it muzzleloader hunting here in Iowa.
Thanks.
What part of Iowa you from I live just North of the Quad Cities by the Mississippi river
To me muzzle loader hunting is all pros just love to hunt with them.
You have several seasons to hunt with a muzzle loader here in Iowa pending what county you hunt & the quota of the county.
1 early muzzle 9 days starts mid October
2 early antler-less 3 days after Thanksgiving only certain counties
3 1st shotgun 7 days 1st week December
4 2nd shotgun 9 days 2nd week December
5 late muzzle loader about 22 days starts after 2nd shotgun
6 late antler-less about 20 days starts after late muzzle only certain counties.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

The vast majority of my hogs and nearly all my deer since 1999 have been killed using muzzleloaders. i do not feel handicapped when hunting deer with a muzzleloader. However, a muzzleloader is a distinct handicap when you're trying to control the wild hog population on several properties.

My muzzleloader training serves me well; every shot from my AR-15 is treated like it is my only shot.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know if this one was listed yet:
Con: Usually only one shot at an animal (except a dumb one)
Pro: Usually only one shot at an animal - so you have to be patient and make it count.
Con: If hunting with a flinter in a snow storm you might get a misfire if your powder gets wet
Pro: If you get a misfire you dont have to clean, drag and process the animal (but had all the fun trying)
Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

quote"Pro: If you get a misfire you dont have to clean, drag and process the animal (but had all the fun trying) "
aint that the truth.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by stretch56
What part of Iowa you from I live just North of the Quad Cities by the Mississippi river
To me muzzle loader hunting is all pros just love to hunt with them.
You have several seasons to hunt with a muzzle loader here in Iowa pending what county you hunt & the quota of the county.
1 early muzzle 9 days starts mid October
2 early antler-less 3 days after Thanksgiving only certain counties
3 1st shotgun 7 days 1st week December
4 2nd shotgun 9 days 2nd week December
5 late muzzle loader about 22 days starts after 2nd shotgun
6 late antler-less about 20 days starts after late muzzle only certain counties.
I live in SW Iowa so I am able to hunt all of those extra seasons because the quota is never filled when I get my tags, so I would say that would be a pro to hunting with a muzzleloader.
Thanks for all of the info guys. Now it is going to come down to deciding on which one that I want to get without breaking the bank.
Any recommendations?
Old 02-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I love the "one shot" mentality. I love bowhunting where you have to practice to get off the best shot you can when the moment arises. My rifle is a ruger number 1. Blackpowder fits perfectly into my style of hunting. You need to practice and know your gun and its limitations. The woods are much less crowded during blackpowder season. Try it and your hooked.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

I love the "one shot" mentality. I love bowhunting where you have to practice to get off the best shot you can when the moment arises. My rifle is a ruger number 1. Blackpowder fits perfectly into my style of hunting. You need to practice and know your gun and its limitations. The woods are much less crowded during blackpowder season. Try it and your hooked.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by deer655
After bowhunting for 10 years, then turning to front stuffers, i have to totally agree with you.. Ray
Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Spike

For me living here in Western NY where we have to use slug guns, ML are more accurate and less expensive than premium sabot slugs, and we can extend our season 9 more days. That was my mentality 10 years ago when I got my first ML. Today, it is my favorite type of gun hunting hands down. There is something about having only 1 shot that has slowed me down and allowed me to enjoy the entire experience of hunting, not just the harvest. Muzzleloaders rock