Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
new bullet -sabot recommendations >

new bullet -sabot recommendations

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new bullet -sabot recommendations

Old 02-23-2011, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default new bullet -sabot recommendations

hi
im shooting a knight vision with the hornady 250 grain sst and the sabot that came with them. they shoot excellent but not getting pass thru on deer.really hard to track with no blood trail lol. these things are really hard to get started down barrel. looking for suggestions on a different bullet sabot combo
that will get pass thrus plus might start a little easier.
im using 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets with winchester 209 primers
thanks for any suggestions. the current sabot is black btw
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

polish your bore with JB Bore Paste. That will take care of the loading problem if done right. Use the Bonded [blue tip] SW for more penetration. You can do this with out changing any thing else.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try some .430 300gr Hornady XTPs with the green MMP or Harvester sabots, they work well for me...

Where are you in NC??? I have a few that I picked up last year, I'll give you a dozen to try and see if they groiup in your rifle...

I'd also suggest going to loose powder so you can match the charge to the bullet...By going with 2 pellets, you are trying to find a bullet/sabot that shoots well...When you go to loose, you pick the bullet/sabot combo and then work with the powder to get a good group...
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If your looking for pass through try any Barnes. I hunt with a 300gr Barnes Expander MZ. My second choice would be a Speer Gold Dot in 300gr. You can also pick up a pack of the black Harvester Crushed Rib sabot to try. They load good in my CVA Wolf and Knight KRB7.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM
Spike

thanks guys i think im going to try 250 grain gold dots with the harvester crushed ribs. or the xtps with the harvesters.the xtps ive found are .451 instead of .430
im close to winston-salem
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntin_nc
thanks guys i think im going to try 250 grain gold dots with the harvester crushed ribs. or the xtps with the harvesters.the xtps ive found are .451 instead of .430
Excellent choices for bullets and both are reasonably priced. i would buy the crushed ribs and a pack of MMP-24 also since your changing bullets. you may find the crushed ribs load to easy and might need the 24's. it's $6 insurance.. www.midsouthshooters sales the bullets and sabots... enjoy... Ray
Old 02-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Spike

know of any sites that sale the bullets and sabots so far cant find both at the same place. i figure buying together might save some shipping
Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Spike

didnt see either bullet at midsouth
Old 02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Go to Wideners and grab you some 260 gr Noslers, They still have them for 23 bucks per 50. mmp hp12 sabot. works great in my knight. Both of your choices sound great tho.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by huntin_nc
I have a Knight Vision & the crush rib sabots load a little loose. Not the best accuracy.
I shoot the 451 300 gr. Gold Dot & orange Knight sabot they worked best for me. Knight orange sabots are hard to find & more expensive tho.
The long Harvester's shoot real good but very hard loading I broke a short starter with.
Might want to try mmp's or short Black Harvester's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.