Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts) >

Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts)

Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts)

Second day of the hunt, we were driving towards a spring that we hunt about 8:15 a.m., when my partner saw pigs on a hill, three hills over. So I stopped the truck and we proceeded to stalk. They went over the hill, which I thought was good, because we could get closer that way. My buddy and I split up and both peeked our heads over the hill. Neither of us saw the pigs (there had been at least 4). I walked slowly on up the hill. Standing there, suddenly I heard a bark and saw a large pig run away and to my right. He had been standing there no more than 40 yards from me. I have never heard one bark like that. I trained my scope on him but didn't want to shoot him running. He ran down toward a wash, but stopped momentarily behind a thin bush about 60 or 70 yards away. I took the shot, and he took off running down into the wash and up the other side. I knew I had scored because I saw his stomach and intestines dragging behind him.

Dang! This was my 4th Javi, and I have never gut shot one. He went half way up the next hill and stopped behind a bush. I kept my eye on the bush and started calling with my baby pig call, hoping my partner would get a shot. He didn't see any and joined me shortly.

I tried to clean my gun with a "slight" spit patch and reload...but wait, my jag & patch wouldn't pull out! It was stuck in the bottom like glue. I had used alcohol several times, but never such a dry patch. Arrgh!

After waiting 25 minutes or so, we headed over toward him. My buddy went up an adjacent hill, and I went up directly toward the bush I thought he was near. I walked within 12 ft of him and pointed at him for my buddy to shoot, but he could not see him. The pig finally saw me gesturing and got up and ran again. My buddy brought up his Hawkins but inadvertently touched its hair trigger and missed. The pig didn't go far, but left its stomach on a cactus and drug its intestines 6 ft behind it. My buddy reloaded and took another shot but missed (dang 777 crud). Pig got up and ran again. My buddy got his 357 out of the truck while I watched the pig. The excitement ended with a shot to its snout.

Rifle: CVA Optima Pro/2-7x Nikon scope
powder: 108 gr (84 weight) 777
bullet: 300 grain Gold Dot
sabot: crush rib

Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Dominant Buck

what a nasty set of teeth. Good thing he did not turn and charge you. He could have taken a chunk out of you.

I had read that these animals are very dangerous because as a group they will charge hunters sometimes. I bet that was an exciting hunt. Congratulations on the javelin. This is also called a Peccary ... right?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don if you don't mind my asking, where in Arizona are you located? I live near the Carefree Hwy and I17.

Those are some good looking Javalenas. Sorry to read about the gut shots though.

~Robert
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

When all else fails get the revolver!!!!! Lol. I love it. Congrats, donw. Good little read, too.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
what a nasty set of teeth. Good thing he did not turn and charge you. He could have taken a chunk out of you.

I had read that these animals are very dangerous because as a group they will charge hunters sometimes. I bet that was an exciting hunt. Congratulations on the javelin. This is also called a Peccary ... right?

Yeah, I've been between a sow and her little one which started bawling...I took off up the mountain, out of her way. I was prepared to club this one with my rifle!

Robert, we were near Benson, Arizona. Do you hunt Javi's? Here's a picture to see the look of the area. Lots of barrel cactus, yucca, prickly pear, mesquite.

Quake, thanks! This was a HAM hunt - handgun, archery, & muzzleloader. I've killed 2 with handguns and 2 with muzzleloader (well one was half MZ - half handgun). I've tried archery, but never got a shot that close. My average shot has been 80 yards.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Nice story and nice pics.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Nice job, I love hunting Javalinas, I actually had one bluff charge me once when I shot her mate on a stalk, I was looking for the nearest tree to climb if needed be.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don I know the Benson area. My wife and her family live in Bisbee, so I have driven through Benson quite a few times. I have done some deer hunting in 30A/B but haven't hunted Javalena...yet.

Have you hunted coyote? They are next on my list.

Have you tried the apple pie at the Triple T? If not I highly recommend it.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bchunts
Nice job, I love hunting Javalinas, I actually had one bluff charge me once when I shot her mate on a stalk, I was looking for the nearest tree to climb if needed be.
Brian, where did you hunt (not Nebraska, I take it)?

Robert, last year I was tempted to shoot 2 yotes while javi hunting. I had them in my sites at 45 yards. Then I saw two more. They seem to hunt in pairs during the day. Lots of yipping this year, too. It looks like that Triple T is inside Benson city limits? I've never been there. Will have to try it.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted wild boar in Texas a few years back and the guide said if you shoot one they can come at you on a death charge, which he said was they will come and try to get a chunk out of you with their tusks before dying. With 300 lb plus hogs and me with my muzzy it sure got your heart going. Never shot javalina are they fast criters, they look lean and fast. It took nerves to go track that hog with a gun that you could not shoot, way to go and thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.