Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts) >

Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another AZ javelina meets Gold Dot (picts)

Old 02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Also how are you going to cook it? I usually smoke my hogs for 8 hours and season with garlic and butter and use liquid smoke and water in the evaporator bowl I use in the smoker along with lots of hickory wood chips.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
I hunted wild boar in Texas a few years back and the guide said if you shoot one they can come at you on a death charge, which he said was they will come and try to get a chunk out of you with their tusks before dying. With 300 lb plus hogs and me with my muzzy it sure got your heart going. Never shot javalina are they fast criters, they look lean and fast. It took nerves to go track that hog with a gun that you could not shoot, way to go and thanks for sharing.
Yeah, javelina are extremely fast - they are know as ghosts of the desert, because they disappear so fast. Did you arrow a hog?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
Also how are you going to cook it? I usually smoke my hogs for 8 hours and season with garlic and butter and use liquid smoke and water in the evaporator bowl I use in the smoker along with lots of hickory wood chips.
I usually make Nebraska curry javelina (from a venison recipe). Javi's typically have a rather strong musky smell/taste, and that recipe hides it the best. I've already made some from this Javi, and it was especially good. In fact, this pig had less of a smell/taste than any of my other ones. This was a boar and the other 3 were sows - I always assumed a boar would be worse, but not so with this one.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like that Triple T is inside Benson city limits? I've never been there. Will have to try it.
I would say it is south of Tucson. Not to hype it too much, but there is a reason why Chef Omar is popular with the truck drivers.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

don - good story. Too bad about your muzzy. But you know you could have removed the breech plug, added about 10 gr of powder and shot it out?
That is if you carried your tools with you. I normally carry what I need for disassembly in a little zip lock bag in my fanny pack. Spare flints/nipples, frizzens, flash holes, allen wrench, screwdriver, cleaning jag, patch worm, patches, and a couple other odds and ends. About the only thing that will end my hunt is a broken stock or lock. Which I hope never happens.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
don - good story. Too bad about your muzzy. But you know you could have removed the breech plug, added about 10 gr of powder and shot it out?
That is if you carried your tools with you. I normally carry what I need for disassembly in a little zip lock bag in my fanny pack. Spare flints/nipples, frizzens, flash holes, allen wrench, screwdriver, cleaning jag, patch worm, patches, and a couple other odds and ends. About the only thing that will end my hunt is a broken stock or lock. Which I hope never happens.
That is a great idea to carry everything - I just hate the extra weight. My tools were back in the camper.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by donw
I usually make Nebraska curry javelina (from a venison recipe). Javi's typically have a rather strong musky smell/taste, and that recipe hides it the best. I've already made some from this Javi, and it was especially good. In fact, this pig had less of a smell/taste than any of my other ones. This was a boar and the other 3 were sows - I always assumed a boar would be worse, but not so with this one.
I quit hunting them, since they tasted so horrible no matter how i cooked them. they are after all related to the rodent family lol.. they are not related to the swine family.. there fun to hunt.. i just won't hunt game unless i can eat them...now the wild boars we have here in CA are a whole different story.. 150 - 200 lb sows are excellent eating... have fun with them overgrown RATS lol... Ray