HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Black gold is in (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/340649-black-gold.html)

builder459 02-21-2011 06:00 PM

Black gold is in

Well i have been working out of town and a friend of mine had picked up some BH 209 and since i was working near him i went and picked it up today before i came home. if the weather permits this weekend i will be trying it out in the triumph, with the 300 gr GD/DC bullets and the long black harvester sabots...the 300 gr GD/DC show a lot of promise as a good long range bullet.i am going to hunt the center fire season with the Triumph this year. our M/L seasons here are difficult to draw for and have very limited numbers.should be a hoot :cool2: Ray

sabotloader 02-21-2011 07:13 PM

builder459

I have shot a lot of those 300 grain speers... they are really accurate and really have a decent BC for a HP bullet. They really do like to be pushed along at a decent velocity.

Hope you get out to shoot... let us know how it goes..

builder459 02-21-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3776781)
builder459

I have shot a lot of those 300 grain speers... they are really accurate and really have a decent BC for a HP bullet. They really do like to be pushed along at a decent velocity.

Hope you get out to shoot... let us know how it goes..

Yes i know you have shot a lot of them and from reading some of your finding i realize they need to be pushed. my plan was actually to start with 105 gr of "black gold" and work from there. i will also let you and others know how it goes and give a honest review on Black gold powder. i am not the best when it comes to pictures of targets and such, but i will attempt to take a few and post them. my results at 75 yds with 100 gr of 777 and the 300 GD/DC were excellent.i am excited about trying the BH 209. Ray

sabotloader 02-21-2011 07:35 PM

builder459

Remember to drill out your flash channel after shooting BH. That stuff really gets hard.

Might try a 1/8" bit in it before you shoot and then after you shoot see if there is a noticeable difference...

builder459 02-21-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3776790)
builder459

Remember to drill out your flash channel after shooting BH. That stuff really gets hard.

Might try a 1/8" bit in it before you shoot and then after you shoot see if there is a noticeable difference...

Remember i do my homework :)..i am well aware of the need for the drill bit and plan to use it on a regular basis. i don't need any ignition problems and since i shoot a Triumph,i don't expect any with proper cleaning methods and STS primers..i appreciate the heads up though as always.. Ray

ronlaughlin 02-22-2011 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3776719)
.................................i will be trying it out in the triumph, with the 300 gr GD/DC bullets and the long black harvester sabots...the 300 gr GD/DC show a lot of promise as a good long range bullet..............................

Them sabot would be too tight in my Triumph.

sabotloader 02-22-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by builder459 (Post 3776796)
Remember i do my homework :)..i am well aware of the need for the drill bit and plan to use it on a regular basis. i don't need any ignition problems and since i shoot a Triumph,i don't expect any with proper cleaning methods and STS primers..i appreciate the heads up though as always.. Ray

The STS should really be a good primer for the Triumph shooting BH. I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f with the 300 with a MMP HPH-24 sabot. I have also shot them with the Harvester short black and long black - but i am stuck on the 24's....

ronlaughlin 02-22-2011 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3776913)
The STS should really be a good primer for the Triumph shooting BH...................................

This morning i fired a few loads in the Triumph using W209 primer. The W209 grew about 0.010". The STS primer has plenty of fire for BH, but i am inclined to think the wouldn't be the best to use in my Triumph, because of their length. They would grow much more than the W209, and blow by would probably be an issue. If all Triumph have similar headspace, the W209 is probably the primer that will fit the best.

I believe my next breech plug project will be to decrease the headspace of the Triumph, so that STS will be the primer of choice in my rifle. Currently i am doing the same thing for one of my Omega.

sabotloader 02-22-2011 11:13 AM

ronlaughlin

Ron, Builder might be OK, i shoot an even shorter Chedditie primer in my Triumph and really do not experiance much blow back at all in fact very litte. There is a dusting but not much.

This is the breech are in my Triumph after shooting 9 shots of 110 grains of BH and a very short Cheddite primer, it's length averages 0.287"...

This is accomplished by the length of the 'flash channel' in the breech plug. With the 'flash hole' on the end of the Triumph plug the volume capacity of the 'flash channel' is increased to the point where there is very little blow pressure felt on the nose of the primer - there-by reducing blow back

builder459 02-22-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by ronlaughlin (Post 3776883)
Them sabot would be too tight in my Triumph.

Ron i have to tell you i figured they would be in mine also. i thumbed one in the QLA and used a short starter and after that they slid down nicely. the harvester smooth long black sabot petals are not as thick as a MMP- 24.give the short starter a try.. Ray