Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

200g SST

Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Well that is some massive wounds.. looks like a good bullet. They sure shoot well out of my Remington Genesis and my Knight.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
I believe someone from here emailed Hornady awhile back with this question, and the answer was that the Shockwave and SST are "similar, but not identical". Hornady does make both of them, and I believe the core and jackets are identical, the only difference is the tip. They are obviously different colors, but several people have claimed that they are made from different materials as well. The 200 SST's (red tip) I have were purchased in 2006 and seem to be the same hardness and composition as the 200 yellow-tip Shockwaves. However, I know Hornady is using their new "flex-tip" technology in a lot of their newer stuff, so I don't know if they use it now with the 200 SST.
Thanks for the reply, oldsmellhound. Good info. When i tried the 200gr. Shockwave it was one week before firearm season began here in Indiana. Since i didn't have any more time to test i stuck with what i knew worked for me in the past- the 250gr. Shockwave. Accuracy is still good with the 250s, about 1 1/2" groups average at 100 yards in my Triumph.

The accuracy of the 200gr. bullet has really got my attention, though. I plan on shooting more of them soon just to confirm the excellent accuracy i got from them in November 2010.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've taken dozens of deer with this bullet with excellent performance around the 2000fps MV mark from 20-338 yards. The only ones that failed to exit (2) were around 200 yards, went through both shoulders, and the jackets got caught up under the offside skin, one lead exited and one did not.

Last year I pushed these same bullets to 2770 fps MV in a gun built for smokeless powder. At about 150 yards I still got a pass-thru, and the impact velocity was still way above the MV on a blackpowder rifle. At only 20 yards the bullet was a grenade and blew the sternum off the deer but vaporized.

Moral of the story: At blackpowder velocities it is an excellent bullet. If you've going to crank it to 2700+ fps keep the shots over 100 yards.