HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Wolves...Is it true? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/340005-wolves-true.html)

Gotbuck 02-11-2011 09:42 AM

Wolves...Is it true?

Got this from a friend and cannot believe this one. What do you think?

Colorado Residents Beware
Coming to a favorite deer or elk herd near you.
With Wyoming wolves still protected there is a safe zone all the way from Yellowstone to you.

These are pictures of two different, legally shot wolves that were also killing livestock. These pictures give an even better idea of the size of these animals as both of these men are around six feet tall.

Imagine what a pack of 10 to 15 of these monsters can do to a herd of Elk. Now multiply that by 100+!

Gm54-120 02-11-2011 09:48 AM

In some areas they are destroying the Elk population and they need to be properly hunted until tags are filled to insure the numbers are kept in check. Some wolves they are introducing aren't even totally native breeds, Some are crossbreeds/hybrids or other breeds altogether.

Each area needs to be allowed to address its OWN needs legally and effectively through good game management and a valid tag until you get it filled as apposed to just a tag and a season that ends. IMO the tag should be good until it is filled. Predators don't follow a Elk/Deer/other game seasons and the only way to limit their damage is to hunt them accordingly.

builder459 02-11-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gm54-120 (Post 3772066)
In some areas they are destroying the Elk population and they need to be properly hunted until tags are filled to insure the numbers are kept in check. Some wolves they are introducing aren't even totally native breeds, Some are crossbreeds/hybrids or other breeds altogether.

Each area needs to be allowed to address its OWN needs legally and effectively through good game management and a valid tag until you get it filled as apposed to just a tag and a season that ends. IMO the tag should be good until it is filled. Predators don't follow a Elk/Deer/other game seasons and the only way to limit their damage is to hunt them accordingly.

Amen my friend.another example of our genius government officials at work.. Ray

SJAdventures 02-11-2011 10:12 AM

If you are referring to their size then that photo could very well be correct. The Grey wolf is a very large species. The wolf issue is a very serious one and is threatening to eventually do away with hunting in the north western regions is not addressed. Uncontrolled wolves have already caused damage to wildlife that will take years to correct. Every hunter owes it to them self to become better informed about this conservation crisis. Wolfs have become way more threatening to hunting than peta.

bronko22000 02-11-2011 11:33 AM

I rmember way back in the late 80's when I was on a spring bear hunt in the Idaho panhandle. I know I heard wolves howling not far from my bait site but when I told the outfitter he said "it must have been coyotes cause there aint any wolves around here". I said "if you say so, but I know the difference between a coyote howl and a wolf howl".

flounder33 02-11-2011 01:03 PM

Look at the size of the heads on those wolves. I say it is fake.
I do agree that the wolves need to be controlled.

cayugad 02-11-2011 01:38 PM

while wolves do indeed take deer and elk, those photos are doctored. A full grown Gray also known as a Timber wolf would not be that large. We have numerous packs in the area where I live. I even see them from time to time. While a wolf is large, they are not that large. All the ones I have seen are very lean and long legged.

valjones 02-11-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by cayugad (Post 3772139)
while wolves do indeed take deer and elk, those photos are doctored. A full grown Gray also known as a Timber wolf would not be that large. We have numerous packs in the area where I live. I even see them from time to time. While a wolf is large, they are not that large. All the ones I have seen are very lean and long legged.

Not completely accurate. These two wolves were killed in Sublette County Wyoming during the very short, and only, time that Wyoming has been allowed to harvest wolves since the reintroduction. These wolves have an endless supply of food, and are far from long and lean. I am certain that these are undoctored photos.

Any members of this forum, that have an interest in game populations in our Western states, should make the effort to learn the facts concerning unchecked wolf populations that are rapidly changing big game hunting, probably forever.

kb1 02-11-2011 04:19 PM

pics look like bs to me too.

50calty 02-11-2011 04:19 PM

Going to have to agree. Wolves do get that big even if the photos have been doctored. Its becoming a big joke. Anybody that lives around Wyo, MT, and ID. Get ready cause you'll soon have wolves in your state. Montana is now trying to pass laws to combat the growing COST of wolve/coyote managment. I cant remember the exact number, but it is insane the cost we the tax payers pay for the damage they do. Some areas in MT are no longer huntable due to the wolves. The deer population around Yellowstone Park is GONE. There is no longer a late Jan season to hunt the elk coming from the park. The calves have less then 50 percent chance of survival. If you do hunt for elk where there is a wolf pack good luck. The closest you can get is 300 yards if that. And If you see them you better start running or else you'll never get that close to shoot them. The elk are now always on the move, never staying in one spot. The mountain lions and grizzlies arn't making things better too. Its not uncommon anymore to track a deer/elk only to find one of these three predators tracking it too. There was a reason our fore fathers almost wiped out the wolves/lions/grizzly bears. They need to be hunted to a point that they fear man.