Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Wolves...Is it true? >

Wolves...Is it true?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wolves...Is it true?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ex-Senator Larry Craig Lobbying on Wolf Legislation

Former Idaho U.S. Sen. Larry Craig is working for a sportsmen's group that wants Congress to lift Endangered Species Act protections from wolves on grounds the prolific predators are hurting big game populations coveted by hunters in the region.

whole article here
http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/pre...lf-legislation
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

2/25/2011
Federal officials say a record number of pets and livestock were killed by wolves in Minnesota in 2010.
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Federal officials say a record number of pets and livestock were killed by wolves in Minnesota in 2010.

Wolves attacked 139 livestock animals and birds and 23 dogs. Fifteen of the 23 dog attacks were fatal. One-hundred-30 complaints verified by federal officials are 31 percent higher than the five-year average

Minnesota's wolf population is estimated between 2,200 and 3,500. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services trapped 192 problem wolves last year.

The Star Tribune says that under federal law, wolves in Minnesota can be killed by the public only to protect human life. Federal and state officials can kill wolves that attack domestic animals.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Utah Lawmakers Pass Resolution to Delist Wolves!

2/24/2011
Utah lawmakers have passed a resolution encouraging the federal government to allow the hunting of wolves to control their population.
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah lawmakers have passed a resolution encouraging the federal government to allow the hunting of wolves to control their population.

Republican Rep. Noel of Kanab says Senate Concurrent Resolution 15 would urge the federal government to take wolves off the endangered species list.

The resolution passed the House 60-8 Wednesday and now goes to the governor to be signed.

Noel, who howled while introducing the resolution, says the delisting of wolves would allow state wildlife agencies to manage wolf populations.

A 2011 budget bill now before Congress includes a provision to revoke endangered species status for an estimated 1,400 wolves in Idaho, Montana and portions of Washington, Oregon and Utah
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

That sounds like a good start. Thanks for updating.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default feds hunt wolves

3/1/2011
A federal official says authorities are running out of time to find and kill a single wolf or pair of wolves blamed for killing a cow in eastern Idaho.
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) — A federal official says authorities are running out of time to find and kill a single wolf or pair of wolves blamed for killing a cow in eastern Idaho.

Todd Grimm of Idaho Wildlife Services says hunters have been searching since Jan. 21, and have until March 7 when a depredation permit runs out.

Officials say one cow was killed and another injured during the January attack about seven miles east of Howe.

Grimm tells the Post Register that tracks disappeared into an area without snow, and officials have since flown over the area several times without spotting wolves.

Grimm says the wolf or wolves probably live outside the area.

Near Mackay in central Idaho, Grimm says officials are also hunting a single wolf blamed for killing four calves.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Wisconsin ... I was reading the history of wolf problems in the State and it is a lot more then the DNR I think likes to admit to.

DNR estimates there are nearly 700 wolves in the state currently, a number that has grown in recent years including 2005 when the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service relisted wolves to endangered status. DNR wolf page
According to the report, total livestock depredation in 2010 included: 63 cattle killed (47 calves), 5 cattle injured, 6 sheep killed (4 lambs), 1 goat injured, and 6 farm deer killed. A total of 25 to 27 packs and 2 to 4 loners/dispersers were involved in depredation on livestock. Twenty-three of the depredating packs were detected in the previous winter and were 13% of the known packs in the state.
34 dogs attacked
Thirty-four cases of wolf depredations on dogs were detected during 2010, including 14 cases of wolf depredations on pet dogs near homes, and 20 cases of depredations on dogs in hunting and training situations, DNR reported. total of 24 dogs were killed and 14 were injured by wolves by 21 different packs (12% of packs in the state in 2010) and 1 loner/disperser. Among hunting dogs 19 were killed and 4 were injured (including 1 bird dog), and among pet dogs, 6 were killed and 10 were injured.
Funny part is that when the wolves first showed up, we complained to the DNR that this is exactly what would happen and they told us we were "blowing it out of proportion." They told us the wolves came over from Minnesota (thanks a lot guys) but I believe they were planted. As they were suddenly in our area, in some number.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

I don't know anything about wolves, but can tell ya that the yotes arre getting bad here in the east. Now If those wolves decide to head east, we got problems.

I just heard on the news that the governor of Wyoming just told his land owners to shoot the wovles on sight and the hell with the feds. Sounds good to me.

Don't like breaking the law, but the feds are getting to be a pain in my ass lately!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Idaho Sheriff's Raffle

GRANGEVILLE, Idaho (AP) — An Idaho sheriff's raffle called ".308 SSS Wolf Pack Raffle'' in a region where SSS commonly stands for what to do after killing a federally protected wolf — "shoot, shovel and shut up'' — has brought in $13,000.

Idaho County Sheriff Doug Giddings said the SSS in the raffle stands for ``safety, security and survival,'' and the drawing held Tuesday for a rifle and shovel wasn't meant to encourage the illegal shooting of wolves.

But the added publicity with the wolf angle helped sell 13,000 of the $1 tickets, he said.

"That's almost as many people as are in Idaho County,'' Giddings told the Lewiston Tribune.

Some buyers were from as far away as Chicago and Florida, he said.

"This is somewhat of a 'Whoa, wait a minute' raffle,''' Giddings said. "The wolves are not beneficial to anybody except some environmentalist someplace who has nothing to do with Idaho County. (The drawing) drew a lot of attention to the wolf issue, and that was good.''

Giddings pulled 10 preliminary tickets from two empty beer kegs, with those tickets then placed in a basket with the winner drawn by the 2-year-old daughter of a sheriff's deputy.

Top prize went to Norm Sonnen, of Greencreek, who said he bought about 20 tickets, though he doesn't hunt wolves.

"I support what (the sheriff's office) is doing,'' Sonnen said. "I think our ancestors got rid of them for a reason and we don't need them back. Although I'm not going to go against the law to get rid of them. But I don't like the wolves being reintroduced.''

Giddings said raffle money is being divided among eight elementary schools, four high schools, and the Idaho County food bank.

Second place in the raffle was a knife, while the third-place winner received a $25 gift certificate to a sporting goods store

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/pre...olf-connection
Old 03-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Minnesota wolfs

Hello, I would like to jump in here, I live in west central Minnesota.. Mind you, this is farm county , not the pine forests of northern Minnesota. . A trapper friend of mine who traps coyotes and fox, caught a timber wolf in one his traps on the edge of a cornfield. The dumb S**T called the DNR and reported it, they told him they would be right out, when they arrived, they used a 4x8 sheet of plywood to stand behind as they walked up and let the wolf out of the trap. But before the DNR (crick dicks) got there my friend took some pictures of the wolf in the trap and also noticed, apparently this ones mate, siting and watching him about 50 yds away, these wolves were no further than 1/4 mile from a small dairy farm. Now being there no longer afraid of humans ( these two sure weren't) How long until one of these wolves take a little kid who is waiting for the school bus? (some of the rural driveways are nearly a 1/2 mile long.)
Here's another situation that has now raised its dirty little head. Over the last couple of years cougars have been sited, and photographed with game cameras. One farmer here raises horses, this last fall he had one of his younger ponies with deep scratches on its neck and back, the scratches were severe enough to have the local Veterinarian out and patch this horse up. The Vets personal opinion was that the horse had been bit and clawed by a large cat. Now here’s the funny thing, the farmer reported this incident to our Department of Natural Resources. And there response was “ There are no cougars in this part of the state.” I would like to ask them then. Explain to me the game camera photos?
I personally think the DNR knows of the wolf and cougar problems here in west central Minnesota, but they don’t know what to do about it. So if you deny the problem exists then you don’t have to deal with it.
Its sad to think that some little boy or girl will need to be killed by wolves or maybe one of those nonexistent cougars, before anything is done about it. Of course or Department of Natural Resources. would probably spin it around and blame it on someones farm dog.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

one answer is all thats needed, shoot, shouvel, and shut up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.