Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Wolves...Is it true? >

Wolves...Is it true?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wolves...Is it true?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

those are small ones guys

in the meantime wolves reack havock and all ranchers/farmers can do unless they are delisted is stand by and watch them kill their pets, livestock etc....man reintroduced a much larger wolf than was in the rockies....not the rocky moiuntain wolf but the timber wolf...heck of a difference...now there is a huge problem and they must be delisted so the sate DNR's have the authority to manage them to a level that is beneficial to all wildlife...man has done somee good with conservation..IE the deer here....I never hunted around here for deer until about 15 years ago...dad never even saw a deer here until the mid 40's...was like mid 60's before there was a hunting season on em...
man has failed miserably with the wolves and need to let the states manage them...before all hunting out west is gone...allready the elk population in Yelllowstone is practically non existant..and there used to be many there...enchourage your reps to vote on the bills...both house and senate!!!!

Also called Rocky Mountain Wolf, McKenzie Valley Wolf, Canadian Wolf and Alaskan Wolf, the Northwestern Wolf is found in western Canada and in Alaska all the way down the Aleutian Chain.
Over the past decade 11-20% of the Alaska’s wolf population is harvested every year thanks to people like Sarah Palin. They are predators perfectly suited for their environment, so numbers remained large in spite of the hunting.
Smaller than the common gray wolf, they weigh anywhere from 50 to 100 lbs. The average adult male weighs 75 lbs. and the average adult female weighs 60 lbs. They measure 5 to 5 1/2 feet in length (tip of nose to end of tail) and 25 to 36 inches in height.

Also called Rocky Mountain Wolf, (WHICH IS NATIVE)McKenzie Valley Wolf, Canadian Wolf and Alaskan Wolf,

Also called Eastern [/u]Timber Wolf[u] ,(what was introduced to yellowstone etc.) Eastern Canadian Wolf and Eastern Canadian Red Wolf, there has been speculation as to whether they are actually a subspecies of the grey wolf.

the timber wolf is the largest of the canid species.
CHARACTERISTICS
Average males weigh between 100 and 145 pounds with females weighing roughly 10 to 20 percent less. The heaviest on record was caught in Alaska in 1939, weighing 175 pounds. Though the Guinness book of Animal World Records mentions an unconfirmed specimen weighing 230 pounds. They measure 32 to 36 inches shoulder height and 5 to 7 feet in length, from the tip of the nose to the end of the tail. Their long, powerful legs allow them to travel as far as 70 miles a day, and through rough terrain like deep snow. They can reach speeds of up to 40 miles an hour for short periods of time. Their skull measures about 12 inches long. A combination of powerful jaw and neck muscles allows them to break bones and bring down large prey.

notice how much bigger they are

farmdude
View Public Profile
Send a private message to farmdude
Find all posts by farmdude
Add farmdude to Your Contacts

Last edited by farmdude01; 02-11-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Typical Buck

OK, for those of you people that believe this is fake. Here is a link to MT FWP that states the avg wolf is 73 inches tall and weights 104 lbs. So 73 inches equal roughly 6 ft. Most men are around 6ft. In the picture the wolves are pretty close to the height of the men. Yes they look bigger around to weight only 100 lbs. But you gotta think, hair doesn't weight much. So shooting these wolves in winter when the coat is the thickest. They are going to look "fuller" then they actually are. I don't bother with the general area that they say wolves are. Its a bunch of crap. I don't know how many of us hunters report wolves and FWP says thats not true. That they don't live that area.

http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AMAJA01030.aspx

Last edited by 50calty; 02-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

from another forum

This is back in the 60's and I was 9 or 10 yrs old my dad had sat me down off a deer trail back in the woods and went on to hunt another area in east Texas. I heard and saw what looked like a huge German Shepard to me trotting down the trail. It stopped about 20 yrds away and starred at me for a min then broke into a full run at me like it wanted to play. I had a single shot 20 ga with #3 buck shot. I aimed right between its eyes and fired. The wolf was about 15 feet away and hit the ground and slid in the oak leaves stopping about 5 feet from me. The rancher and taxidermist said it was the biggest gray wolf they had ever seen. The taxidermist said he was tore up too bad for a mount.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

Did the removal of the wolf years ago cause it to become endangered? No, there are 40,000 to 60,000 wolves on the North American continent. The animal is doing quite well. During the years of wolf control, the wolf's territory was eliminated throughout most of the lower 48 states.
It must be stated clearly that the wolf is the best tool for shutting down hunting. The anti-hunters know this. Most hunters don't. Thus, wolf recovery is not opposed by the people who will be impacted most.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Any members of this forum, that have an interest in game populations in our Western states, should make the effort to learn the facts concerning unchecked wolf populations that are rapidly changing big game hunting, probably forever.

The reintroduction of the Gray wolf in Northern Wisconsin has had an effect on the deer herds IMO. Although the DNR do not agree with that. And I must admit the hunters did the most damage to the herds with unchecked slaughter of does. The wolf packs have slaughtered a number of hunting dogs in the area, and due to lack of deer numbers there is concern now on the effect of wolves on the local elk herds.

If that picture is real, that is two very massive wolves. They might even be new records for size.

The Mackenzie Valley Wolf .is perhaps the largest subspecies of Gray Wolf in North America.(Canis lupus occidentalis) also known as the Canadian Timber Wolf typically stand about 32–36 inches (81–95 cm) at the shoulder and males weigh between 100 and 145 pounds (45–65 kg). The weight record is held by a wild specimen caught in Alaska in 1939 which weighed 175 pounds
An interesting book to read on the subject of wolves and how they effect herds.. Never Cry Wolf written by Farley Mowat. Not only an excellent read, but a lot of fact in there that might surprise most people's idea of wolves.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Spike

If those guys are 6' tall. Those are some really big snow mobiles.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by my2071111
If those guys are 6' tall. Those are some really big snow mobiles.
Whats the deal with being six foot and comparing snowmobiles? I see from your id you live in TX. Have you seen a snowmobile in person? They are not the size of a four wheeler.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 50calty
Whats the deal with being six foot and comparing snowmobiles? I see from your id you live in TX. Have you seen a snowmobile in person? They are not the size of a four wheeler.
I'm not saying those aren't big wolves. I'f these guys are 6' that would make the snow mobiles over 4' tall. Taller than a motorcycle.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one gives a rat's butt my2071111 if the snow mobiles are in correct scale in relation with the hunters or if they are or are not 6' tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We know already by reading a couple of posts in this thread how big wolves are or can get and that isn't the point what so ever. Getting off on some useless debate on whether the wolves in that picture is correct or not or if snow mobiles are bigger than yada yada yada is one reason why we have the mess we have now with the wolves. We'd rather argue over something that doesn't matter to a hill of beans instead of standing united as fellow hunters and making our voices heard about an issue that is threatening more than just the hunting in the NW and will continue to only get worse. If we ever stop bickering among ourselves we may get something done one day.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Spike

When I lived in Alaska we would see wolves on a regular basis. I have never seen a wolf any where near that big. Put it into perspective, a Bear that big would wieght some where in the range of 400lbs, if it were well fed, like someone said about the wolves in WY or ID.
Grey or Timber s are a BIG dog, but not 200 plus lbs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.