Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Excellent example of a Working Bullet... >

Excellent example of a Working Bullet...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Excellent example of a Working Bullet...

Old 02-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Excellent example of a Working Bullet...

Some authorities do not believe that a bullet can not cause a 'Hydrostatic Shock' or Hydraulic Shock as I call it, to the organs of the body as the bullet passes through. It is really not the size of the mushroom that cause this function, but more the speed of the projectile and the movement of fluid it causes in a fluid atmosphere (Hydraulic Movement of a heavy fluid).

Hydrostatic shock or hydraulic shock describes the observation that a penetrating projectile can produce remote wounding and incapacitating effects in living targets, in addition to local effects in tissue caused by direct impact, through a hydraulic effect in liquid-filled tissues.[1][2] There is scientific evidence that hydrostatic shock can produce remote neural damage and produce incapacitation more quickly than blood loss effects.[3] Proponents of bullets that are "light and fast" versus bullets that are "slow and heavy" often refer to this phenomenon.
GM54-120 found a perfect example, a video of a bullet passing through a special ballistic gell. He posted this video as a way to show the effects of the bullet spinning through the jell - to me the expansion of the material shows an exceelent example of 'Hydraulics in a heavy fluid'. This action cause the rupture of the blood vessels and even the organ in most cases creating a serious shock to the animal. The greater the shock the better chance ti will over-ride the animals flight response.

Thanks Scott:

Look at this video and I think it will really be obvious the bullets can cause Hydrostatic/Hydraulic Shock. Just click on the picture to see the video...

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-08-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is pretty cool how the block expands to nearly double its size from the pressure. The spiral shock wave is kinda cool too.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

I wonder if this is what happens to the heart when we see it turned to a jelly like substance. The mz does it alot, I'm trying to remember how the shotguns did. I think the newer, faster sabot loads did it too.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grizzly 2
I wonder if this is what happens to the heart when we see it turned to a jelly like substance. The mz does it alot, I'm trying to remember how the shotguns did. I think the newer, faster sabot loads did it too.
That is the EXACT same thing i was thinking as i was watching the video. -Q
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Most often when you find the heart and lungs in the chest cavity and they are nothing more than dark red jello... Hydrostatic/Hydraulic Shock from the bullet has occurred. When it works really well the bullet does not even have to hit both organs square the swelling size of one can cause compression of the other which will also cause it to burst.

The point of this is if you can create enough instant shock to the animals system, you can acually cause the animal to go into SHOCK immediately and negate a lot of the animals automatic response to run...

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-09-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

The point of this is if you can create enough instant shock to the animals system, you can actually cause the animal to go into SHOCK immediately and negate a lot of the animals automatic response to run...
Bingo, we have a winner.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Great video..thanks for sharing.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Great video! Thanks for sharing and I was a believer before the video.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That video made me wish i had better equipment to work with. However, i got over it.

For the past 2 seasons i have been using the Gold Dot/Deep Curl bullet with excellent success. Some pictures of some kills have been posted here. A couple of times, i have been asked about the 'blood trail'. I have never seen a blood trail made by a deer killed by these bullet. Reason being, every one of more than a dozen, have dropped right there, or have never gotten to their feet. A few have fallen because the bullet clipped the back bone. Most haven't been hit in the back bone, but the bullet passed near enough that they thought they were paralyzed. They all drop, and expire soon right there. I guess this is the hydrostatic shock spoken of in this thread.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've often heard the theory too that this effect, whatever you want to call it, is enhanced depending on what stage the heart is in. I think it goes something like when it is compressed (forcing blood thru the system) when the bullet strikes the results are more dramatic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.