Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Seating Barnes expander after 1st shot >

Seating Barnes expander after 1st shot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Seating Barnes expander after 1st shot

Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Northport buckslayr
Thanks for the advice all! I have just been swabbing with one spit patch, so my swabbing routine is about to get way more thourough. Is this an issue with everything but T7 (except BH209)? Do you get the same crud ring with pyrodex pellets, or white hots? Also would Hoppes Elite work as well as windex?
Basically other than real BP or BH you can get a crud ring. It can be minimal to really tough...

I would suggest do not damp patch with anything that has an oil in it....
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

North, this is one reason why I stick with Goex...I've got to have it anyway for my flintlocks, so I just use it in my Knight as well...I have used Pyrodex from time to time when WalMart wants to give it away but I usually use real black powder...I just don't see a big advantage to using the subs...
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Typical Buck

I use both loose Pyrodex and Pellets (not at the same time) and I can get a clean barrel with 3 spit patches if no cleaners are available. Just swab down slowly and flip and reuse, get another and so on. Crud ring will happen but you can minimize it by cleaning the gun. Muzzleloaders are more maintenance but in my opinion they are more fun to shoot and some of the new guns out have really neat and fast ways to clean them. I have all my ramrods maked when the bullet is seated, only I do not use tape, I have permanentenly cut a mark around the ramrod in which it meets the crown of the barrel flush. I used a good pocket knife and the marks are going strong even after 10 years of weathering.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now just out of curiosity - and this is obvious to most of us. But just to be sure: You are seating the bullets firmly into the sabot prior to seating it on the charge.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Now just out of curiosity - and this is obvious to most of us. But just to be sure: You are seating the bullets firmly into the sabot prior to seating it on the charge.
Hmmm, i didn't think to ask that question
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, I am seating the bullet in the sabot. i have been cleaning it with Hoppes 9 and then not firing a primer before shooting, so that might be leaving some oil in the barrel for crud to stick to. I am going to try cleaning with windex, and popping a primer before shooting.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, you never know. Sometimes its the most obvious and overlooked that causes the problem. I just wanted to make sure.