Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 gr gold dots

Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 300 gr gold dots

Went out this morning with some 300 gr gold dots.sabots on hand were the harvester crushed rib and the 300 gr long harvester smooth sabots also.fired several shots with CR and 100 gr 777 loose and was pleased with the results.i really wanted to try the long smooth sabots, so i loaded up another 100 gr of 777 and slipped the 300 gr bullet in the the QLA and pulled out the short starter gave it a wack to get it started, reached for the ram rod and to my surprise it went down perfect! the shots with the long smooth sabots were touching. it appears my Triumph will accept the long sabots and the accuracy with them seems to be better than with the CR sabots.had a person new to muzzleloading along with us and my son, so i wasn't able to do as much shooting as i wanted to myself.a little side note lol. i set up my son with a 65gr load of 777 and a 250 gr gold dot in the lil wolverine rifle to shoot. the other person that was with us set up a water bottle at 25 yds and told my son if he could hit the blue label on the bottle, he would give him $20, needless to say my son came home $20 richer lol.it was a very fun way to spend a day! Ray
Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Tell your son congrats...

I've never had a need for the crush ribs, but I like a tight fit...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Builder, glad to hear you had a good day shooting with your son. You guys are making memories that will last a lifetime for the both of you. Watch out, before you know it he will be out-shooting/out-hunting you!!!! -Q
Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the original intent in the design of the crush rids was to fit bores that the other sabots would not go down with a reasonable amount of effort. I personally try a range of petal thickness of sabots to find the max thickness that will load easy then try all the sabots that have that thickness with each bullet, its the only way I have been able to get consistent results. I also try the in hot weather as the hunting season here usually has some warm days. This is probably why I usually end up with Harvester sabots as the plastic in them stands up to our 100 degree summer weather better, I notice that the guys that live in the colder parts of the country usually use MMP sabots.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Good memories with your kids along with shooting your muzzleloader; life is good.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I believe the original intent in the design of the crush rids was to fit bores that the other sabots would not go down with a reasonable amount of effort. I personally try a range of petal thickness of sabots to find the max thickness that will load easy then try all the sabots that have that thickness with each bullet, its the only way I have been able to get consistent results. I also try the in hot weather as the hunting season here usually has some warm days. This is probably why I usually end up with Harvester sabots as the plastic in them stands up to our 100 degree summer weather better, I notice that the guys that live in the colder parts of the country usually use MMP sabots.
I had heard that the long harvester smooth sabots didn't usually fit in the T/C rifles, so i was skeptical. i did have to give it a lite wack with the short starter, but after that it went down nicely,and seemed to group well also. i had some mmp- 24 sabots also. when i looked closely at the 3 different sabots, it was apparent that the mmp sabots had the thicker petals. the harvester CR and the long sabots petals appeared to be the same thickness. the only difference between the two was one had the CR and the other was smooth.the mmp sabots are just to tight. the person we had along to teach the ropes of muzzleloading, went home with a much better understanding of how to work up loads,proper loading, swabbing and cleaning his rifle.he also had a great time and appears to be hooked lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ya` done good builder. I hope you took a picture of your son with the gun and his twenty dollar bill.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bulider, glad you found a good load for your rifle. And Happy to see you are mentoring your son. We need the youth in this country to get away from their video games and reconnect with our heritage and traditions.
And tell your son "Way to go!" I hope he saved that money to by more powder???
Old 02-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Bulider, glad you found a good load for your rifle. And Happy to see you are mentoring your son. We need the youth in this country to get away from their video games and reconnect with our heritage and traditions.
And tell your son "Way to go!" I hope he saved that money to by more powder???
Actually he wants to use it for video games i limit his time with the video games,when i go out hunting, hiking,shooting he always want to go with me. i do not have to force him.video games are part of kids culture,i feel the secret is to offer alternatives and balance all of their activities. school is his #1 priority and not by his choice, but mine.between school and chores, he doesn't have a lot of time for video games.i have no doubt he will become a hunter himself. he just enjoys going about anywhere you take him.. Ray
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Did you JB the bore on your TC? just curious if that may have helped it out. Mine loads much better now but I still have not had a chance to shoot it.

I am happy to see that you are taking your son with you too. I don't go anywhere without my son. I bet he was having a great time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.