HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   TC Hawken vs. Renegade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/339649-tc-hawken-vs-renegade.html)

Josmund 02-05-2011 02:57 AM

TC Hawken vs. Renegade

From reading the post these past few months, I've noticed many members are very fond of Renegades.

What would be the advantage, if any, of a TC Renegade over the Hawken?

Thanks your your reply,

kb1 02-05-2011 03:33 AM

i can't think of any advantage accuracy wise,but for me that steel butt plate on the renegade is really comfortable.i like my tc hawkens too,but not with heavy conical loads.........karl

50calty 02-05-2011 04:26 AM

I really like my Renegade. The three main difference are that the Hawkin has brass and the Renegade is blued. The other is the barrel channel. Hawken 15/16 and Renegade 1 inch. Lastly the stock, Hawken patch box and curved butt stock and Renegade is straight and no patch box. For a person that is looking at a flintlock I would say the Hawken is the way to go. No one makes a replacment flintlock barrel that is 1 inch on the flats. But GM has it for the 15/16. As for the Percus. it doesnt matter. You can find replacement barrels for either. Whats nice about both rifles is that most parts are interchangable. So even though the Renegade is not being made I can buy Hawken parts and fix the Renegade.

bronko22000 02-05-2011 06:44 AM

No difference to speak of. I think the Rene has a bit shorter barrel. I know its thicker than the Hawken by 1/6" (except the 54 cal Hawken). No brass on the Rene either and when they were both manf by T/C, the Rene was a little less expensive.

cayugad 02-05-2011 07:21 AM

IMO owning numerous Renegades and Hawkins rifles, the Hawkins is by far a more comfortable rifle to shoot. Now don't get me wrong, I love my Renegades. BUT because of the design of the stock, the Renegade being a straight working stock and the Hawkins having a cheek piece (are they called Monte Carlo.. never could understand why), when shooting heavy loads the Hawkins if far more shooter friendly.

If you were to shoot lets say 20 heavy charges out of a Renegade and a Hawkins. At the end of the day, my right facial cheek is sore, shooting the Renegade. It has been beat up by that straight working stock. Doing the same shooting with the Hawkins, you will find much less discomfort in the facial cheek area from the Monte Carlo stock of the Hawkins rifle. Now this is just my experience. In fact a friend was shooting 426 grain conical bullets with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS out of my Renegade and after 2 shots, refused to shoot anymore. He said it hurt his face. The same load, out of my Hawkins rifle did not seem to bother him. It has to be the stock.

The .50 caliber Renegade is still 1 inch on the flats for thickness. They are a heavy barrel, and two inches shorter then the Hawkins. The Hawkins while 2 inches longer is 15/16th thick. This decreases the weight of the barrel. Also that 2 inch difference I find no problem to deal with. In the .54 caliber the barrels are the same thickness, but still the Hawkins is 2 inches longer. And the weight to me does not matter.

The newer Renegades, called the Renegade Hunter has a single trigger. The Hawkins still has the double set triggers. I like the single trigger rifle, but for target shooting and setting a shot in the field when I have time, that set trigger is a real advantage if you know how to use them and don't get excited. So the old Renegades still have double triggers.

Both are great rifles, and both will serve you well. Other very comfortable rifles to shoot and very well made is a Lyman Trade Rifle. It is just a nice comfortable rifle to shoot. I like them a great deal. And they are much cheaper in price then the T/C line of rifles. I have a Lyman Trade rifle flintlock and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. The T/C New Englander is a meat and potatoes rifle, but nice to shoot and well made. And then you have the Black Mountain Magnum by T/C and of course the PA Hunter is a nice rifle to shoot.

Its hard to decide what to purchase sometimes. So I suggest get them all and then let them sort it out.. :barmy:

lemoyne 02-05-2011 12:32 PM

cayugad
That's interesting because I get just the opposite effect the metal butt plate is a little had on me while I hardly notice the renegade. It probably has to do with the way we fit our stocks to ourselves. I hope a bunch more speak up on this it would be very interesting.

pluckit 02-05-2011 01:20 PM

I haven't shot my Renegade too much, and I have only shot it with the .50 cal. barrel. It is the old style Renegade with the metal butt plate and I found no discomfort shooting it. No problem with the stock hitting my face. Plus I never shot anything bigger than a round ball and a 245 grain powerbelt out of it. Now my Hawkins, that bad boy will kick your azz. No way I want to take that sucker target shooting. But then again, I shoot 370 grain Maxi Balls out of it which I'm sure makes a difference. It won't hit your face but that curved butt plate puts a hurtin' on your shoulder. I don't really think there's much difference in accuracy in the two but I won't hunt with either past 70 yards.

Semisane 02-05-2011 01:22 PM

I read Cayugad's comments with a great deal of interest, especially the part about cheek fit. I was thinking "I've shot my Renegade's a LOT with some pretty heavy charges, and never had a sore cheek".

So I grabbed my .58 Hawken and took a sight picture across the yard. Then did the same with one of the Renegades. EUREKA! That's why.

I have scopes on all three of my Renegades, so don't get my cheek down real tight on the stock with them. My lower jaw is against the comb. Sure enough, if I held the Renegade as though I were using iron sights the top of the comb was just under my cheekbone. I can see where that might get a little tiresome with heavy loads. I doubt it would be a problem with round balls though.

The most comfortable sidelock for me is my Great Plains rifle. That baby justs fits me perfectly in every way.

sabotloader 02-05-2011 01:39 PM

cayugad

Dave an excellent write up on the two guns... I would add that I have in the past had both guns myself and at this point I do not have any Hawkens left here - a few to many Renegades but Renegades are all that I have, all with set triggers.

So you can see that i really do prefer the Renegade. My preference does not really have anything to do with how they shoot for me, they both shoot lights out. I prefer the Renegade because it is more like a 'Trade Rifle' of yesterday. I am not much on the fancy brass nor the curved butt plate of the Hawken, although a lot of folks really do prefer it for recoil absorbsion.

I am not going to disagree with you on which gun might be harder on the cheek but i really do not have a problem shooting heavy conicals from the Renegade, anyway i do not seem to notice the effect at all.

Landngroove 02-05-2011 02:07 PM

Both the Hawken and the Renegade are excellent ML's. The .45, and .50 caliber Hawkens, are 28" barrels, and 15/16" across the flats. The .54 caliber, and rare (.58 caliber T/C Custom Shop) are 28", and 1" across the flats. The Renegades all calibers, .50, .54, .56,and rare (.58 T/C Custom Shop) are 26", and 1" across the flats. Both Hawkens, and Renegades use the same locks. They also use the same sights, although early Renegades used a blade (patridge style) front sight, and square notch rear sight. The Hawken was also available in a .50 caliber flintlock. The Renegade was available in a .50 caliber flintlock. The T/C Custom shop offered .54, and .58 caliber flintlocks in both. Also the Renegade was offered in a .56 caliber smoothbore. Other than the Renegade smoothbore, most Hawkens, and Renegades had a 1 in 48" twist.

cayugad 02-05-2011 04:35 PM

Now that I have scoped most of my Renegade barrels the cheek abuse has almost stopped. But with open sights and a strong charge, give me a Hawkins any day. When I shoot I really get down into the stocks of my rifles. I have certain points on my face that need to touch the stock of the rifle a certain way. An old trick a shooter taught me was to put a band aid on the stock of the rifle where your cheek rests. And always make sure you can feel that band aid in the same place. It does actually improve my groups for me.

grizzly 2 02-06-2011 04:18 AM

Never thought of the consistancy that band aid trick might help. Might have to try that one, thanks.

I would have to side with the Renegade for comfort with heavy conicals. The curved metal but plate of the Hawken, is the culprite for me. Once that shoulder gets sensitive to it, it becomes a problem, but to hunt and fire only a time or two it might not be an issue. They sure do point nice with those iron sights for me, even with old eyes.

Josmund 02-06-2011 08:39 AM

Thanks to all who posted.

Great feedback and discussion. Since I only have a Hawken and have only shot 370 Maxi-Balls I can't compare and contrast. I do know the Maxis with 90 grains of RS is more than I can handle for a full range session.

I have since bought some Hornady .490 RBs and .15 patches. I plan on backing the powder down and see if it's easier on me. I really love the look and feel of shooting the gun. It's a great challenge as my in-lines get a little boring.

Any tips for a first time PRB session? I bought the Hornady lube and wonder if you lube the patch right before loading or at home before you go out?

Looks like I'll need to get a Renegade to be able to discuss the differences with observed facts.

Semisane 02-06-2011 08:54 AM

Any tips for a first time PRB session? I bought the Hornady lube and wonder if you lube the patch right before loading or at home before you go out?
Either way is fine Josmund. I've been using olive oil for a patch lube for the last year or two, and generally lube a supply of patches at the beginning of a range session.

Personally, I don't care for lubing right before loading each shot for two reasons; (1) by lubing a stack ahead of time you can clean your hands of lube and not have to wipe lube off of your fingers each time you load, and (2) lubing ahead of time gives the lube time to saturate the patch throughly and evenly.

I grab a stack of however many patches I expect to use (plus a little more) and saturate them with the lube, massaging them with my fingers to get them well saturated. Then I wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the heck out of them so the towels soak up all of the excess oil and the patches feel almost dry. They will have sufficient lube yet be pleasant to handle when loading.

Josmund 02-06-2011 09:08 AM

Thanks Semi,

I now have a plan.

Landngroove 02-06-2011 12:33 PM

You will find that shooting a PRB, even with the same amount of powder as the 370 Maxi-Ball, there will be less felt recoil.

idahoron 02-07-2011 04:49 PM

I think my Renegades are MUCH more shooter friendly than my Hawken. I shoot 460 gr bullets in the Renegades and 300 gr bullets in the Hawken. I had to get a limb saver installed on the hawken. It was killing me. The monty carlo piece on the Hawken made me have to move the front sight to get it to sight in. I hope I got all the issues covered with this rifle. I need to get some shooting on that gun this spring. Ron

builder459 02-07-2011 05:15 PM

I bought a renegade over the Hawkins,since i could not picture myself running around the woods with a a rifle that has shiny brass parts all over it, trying to sneak within range in of a deer. the brass is just one more thing to take care of also..i did shoot my ex brother inlaws hawkins and did not like the curved end of the rifle butt feel against my shoulder. Ray

grizzly 2 02-08-2011 08:12 PM

I had a .50 Hawken given to me because no one could get any accuracy out of it. I found the Buffalo Bullets, ball-ette, a swaged lead bullet a little heavier than a ball, but with flat sides, to be a good hunting round for this rifle.
The barrel was abused but if I remember right, it was accurate out to 75-80 yards or so with this load,(100 gr bp) and I had no complaints about how it dropped deer. I dont think you can find them now, unless you stumble upon some. Sure wish that company would start manufacturing again. If anyone has some ballets, I love to buy some., and I sure miss their SSB's , another bullet I'd love to find available somewhere.

morris.zach 11-03-2012 03:08 PM

T/C Renegade 54 cal

Just putting out a feeler here but I own a T/C Renegade. I recently went shooting at the local tartget range in preperation for this upcoming black powder deer season. After shooting it I noticed I had a small crack in the stock by the hammer. After further and closer inspection I noticed the cheap plastic stock was actually cracked about mid thickness all the way through to one side. This is where the "feeler" comes into play. Is any one out here in this forum selling or know someone selling a replacement stock for a t/c renegade? Thanks in advance.

cayugad 11-03-2012 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by morris.zach (Post 4000016)
Just putting out a feeler here but I own a T/C Renegade. I recently went shooting at the local tartget range in preperation for this upcoming black powder deer season. After shooting it I noticed I had a small crack in the stock by the hammer. After further and closer inspection I noticed the cheap plastic stock was actually cracked about mid thickness all the way through to one side. This is where the "feeler" comes into play. Is any one out here in this forum selling or know someone selling a replacement stock for a t/c renegade? Thanks in advance.

You say your Renegade has a plastic stock? Are you sure it is not a New Englander or perhaps a Black Mountain Magnum? I at one time owned four Renegade and one Renegade Hunter and all had the wood stock. So I would say.. check the model again. If it is a Renegade, then maybe a wooden stock could be found on E-Bay. T/C Firestorm also had the plastic stocks.

morris.zach 11-03-2012 06:26 PM

Cayugad, I double checked the barrel and is is for sure a Thompson center renegade 54 caliber. The only explanation I can conceive is that its an aftermarket stock. I have looked on eBay but the prices are kind of out there. People now a days really don't have a logical grasp on prices. I'm still looking though. Thanks for the reply. Like I said, this was a feeler to see if anyone was selling a spair stock. I have pretty much all hardware, I just need a stock. Weather finished or very used.

cayugad 11-03-2012 07:39 PM

I don't have a spare. If I did it would have a barrel in it. But I will keep my eye open for you. I just never saw a composite stock on a Renegade. But maybe it was a special order or something...

Call T/C and see what they have to say. Although I fear they will tell you to glue it.

idahoron 11-04-2012 04:32 AM

My son had an accident with his Renegade and broke the stock. This spring I used Accuraglass to glue it. It didn't hold. I tried to remove some wood to get more glue in and I tried to pin the crack. I got us by the antelope hunt but on his deer hunt it cracked again.

After spending way too much time trying to fix it I found a used stock. And I bought a new one from TOTW. The new stock will take a lot of work to get it to where it needs to be. The used one will get me by with this rifle until the new one is done.

Keep looking for a used one in good shape. In my opinion gluing is only a temporory fix that will let you down. Ron