Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Hawken vs. Renegade >

TC Hawken vs. Renegade

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Hawken vs. Renegade

Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Now that I have scoped most of my Renegade barrels the cheek abuse has almost stopped. But with open sights and a strong charge, give me a Hawkins any day. When I shoot I really get down into the stocks of my rifles. I have certain points on my face that need to touch the stock of the rifle a certain way. An old trick a shooter taught me was to put a band aid on the stock of the rifle where your cheek rests. And always make sure you can feel that band aid in the same place. It does actually improve my groups for me.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Never thought of the consistancy that band aid trick might help. Might have to try that one, thanks.

I would have to side with the Renegade for comfort with heavy conicals. The curved metal but plate of the Hawken, is the culprite for me. Once that shoulder gets sensitive to it, it becomes a problem, but to hunt and fire only a time or two it might not be an issue. They sure do point nice with those iron sights for me, even with old eyes.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks to all who posted.

Great feedback and discussion. Since I only have a Hawken and have only shot 370 Maxi-Balls I can't compare and contrast. I do know the Maxis with 90 grains of RS is more than I can handle for a full range session.

I have since bought some Hornady .490 RBs and .15 patches. I plan on backing the powder down and see if it's easier on me. I really love the look and feel of shooting the gun. It's a great challenge as my in-lines get a little boring.

Any tips for a first time PRB session? I bought the Hornady lube and wonder if you lube the patch right before loading or at home before you go out?

Looks like I'll need to get a Renegade to be able to discuss the differences with observed facts.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any tips for a first time PRB session? I bought the Hornady lube and wonder if you lube the patch right before loading or at home before you go out?
Either way is fine Josmund. I've been using olive oil for a patch lube for the last year or two, and generally lube a supply of patches at the beginning of a range session.

Personally, I don't care for lubing right before loading each shot for two reasons; (1) by lubing a stack ahead of time you can clean your hands of lube and not have to wipe lube off of your fingers each time you load, and (2) lubing ahead of time gives the lube time to saturate the patch throughly and evenly.

I grab a stack of however many patches I expect to use (plus a little more) and saturate them with the lube, massaging them with my fingers to get them well saturated. Then I wrap the stack in a couple of paper towels and squeeze the heck out of them so the towels soak up all of the excess oil and the patches feel almost dry. They will have sufficient lube yet be pleasant to handle when loading.

Last edited by Semisane; 02-06-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Semi,

I now have a plan.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

You will find that shooting a PRB, even with the same amount of powder as the 370 Maxi-Ball, there will be less felt recoil.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my Renegades are MUCH more shooter friendly than my Hawken. I shoot 460 gr bullets in the Renegades and 300 gr bullets in the Hawken. I had to get a limb saver installed on the hawken. It was killing me. The monty carlo piece on the Hawken made me have to move the front sight to get it to sight in. I hope I got all the issues covered with this rifle. I need to get some shooting on that gun this spring. Ron
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a renegade over the Hawkins,since i could not picture myself running around the woods with a a rifle that has shiny brass parts all over it, trying to sneak within range in of a deer. the brass is just one more thing to take care of also..i did shoot my ex brother inlaws hawkins and did not like the curved end of the rifle butt feel against my shoulder. Ray
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

I had a .50 Hawken given to me because no one could get any accuracy out of it. I found the Buffalo Bullets, ball-ette, a swaged lead bullet a little heavier than a ball, but with flat sides, to be a good hunting round for this rifle.
The barrel was abused but if I remember right, it was accurate out to 75-80 yards or so with this load,(100 gr bp) and I had no complaints about how it dropped deer. I dont think you can find them now, unless you stumble upon some. Sure wish that company would start manufacturing again. If anyone has some ballets, I love to buy some., and I sure miss their SSB's , another bullet I'd love to find available somewhere.

Last edited by grizzly 2; 02-08-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Spike

Default T/C Renegade 54 cal

Just putting out a feeler here but I own a T/C Renegade. I recently went shooting at the local tartget range in preperation for this upcoming black powder deer season. After shooting it I noticed I had a small crack in the stock by the hammer. After further and closer inspection I noticed the cheap plastic stock was actually cracked about mid thickness all the way through to one side. This is where the "feeler" comes into play. Is any one out here in this forum selling or know someone selling a replacement stock for a t/c renegade? Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.