Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Golly! do I have a lot.... >

Golly! do I have a lot....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Golly! do I have a lot....

Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Golly! do I have a lot....

of work to do!!!!

Finished intalling the tang sight and installed a fiber optic front sight on the Renegade.

Took it back to the farm this morning to re-sight it in and get it ready...

The 25 yard sight in target pretty much went as expected... I just hate trying to sight something with a sight that does not have 'clicks'. Every time you make an adjustment you are just guessing and I did a bunch of that. I finally ended up with a nice 3 shot group about 1/2" above the point of aim. It was raining and I was not in good mood after trying to figure out the tang sight movements. So when I got the group at 25 - i posted a new target and took it to 100.

I really need some work at a 100... This looks terrible..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, that's just terrible iron sight, patched ball, 100 yard shooting Sabotloader. Shame on you for even bothering to post that target.

I know what you mean about adjusting those TC Hunter Peeps. They are a pain in the butt. But once you get them right for a gun's favorite load you don't have to play with them again.

What were you using for the point of aim on that target?

Last edited by Semisane; 02-04-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to awful bad, what powder and load? looks like you just need to find the sweet spot powder wise. rain and foul mood, probably didn't help either lol! Ray
Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

personally i would be very happy with iron sight groups like that.........karl
Old 02-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on some fine shooting with iron sights.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
Not to awful bad, what powder and load? looks like you just need to find the sweet spot powder wise. rain and foul mood, probably didn't help either lol! Ray
Forgot to put that on... 70 grains T7-2f and if the gun doesn't like that I'll git another gun. I would use a hotter load if I could but I would burn the patch shooting T7 even with the Wonder Wad. With 70 grains I am getting 1700-1750 fps and a clean barrel - no patching necessary so I am a happy camper.

Another problem is that i really do not shoot enough round balls... with a sabot or a conical I can normally stay inside 3" with the MK or even one of my Renegades with the LRH barrel.

It just bothers me a little bit that this was off a portable bench and of all those shots, only one of them did I think I might have pulled it a bit, there rest really felt spot on. After the target board, I sat up 3 clay birds each from 25 to 75 yards - shot them without a problem even picked off some pieces. I did not try any birds at a 100 - that will be the next trip...

I am using the theory that some days I shoot better than other days and this was not one of the really great days.

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want to pop the charge up but are worried about your patch, use cornmeal as the buffer. It will protect the patch. In the CVA Mountain Stalker I sold to FG I used to shoot 85 grains of T-7 2f but I used a wonder wad between the powder and the patch. The patches were fine. And the rifle was deadly.

Over all that is good shooting. If you have some Pyrodex RS give that a try. I know you hate Pyrodex but with patched ball I normally get real good results.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by cayugad
If you want to pop the charge up but are worried about your patch, use cornmeal as the buffer. It will protect the patch.
I think you sugested that once before also but I do not think while shooting a events I would have time between shots to load powder, cornmeal, wonder wad patch and ball.. They kinda look at me like I am nuts when I run a windex patch every so often...

In the CVA Mountain Stalker I sold to FG I used to shoot 85 grains of T-7 2f but I used a wonder wad between the powder and the patch. The patches were fine. And the rifle was deadly.

Over all that is good shooting. If you have some Pyrodex RS give that a try. I know you hate Pyrodex but with patched ball I normally get real good results.
I do not have any Pyro but I have shot a lot of GOEX and I really just like T7.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If it isn't a timed event just load the corn meal in tubes like the powder.

Al
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Sabot I would be happy with those rounds at a 100 yards with iron sights, heck, I would be happy just to be able to hit the target at a 100 yards!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.