Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Captured Deep Curl >

Captured Deep Curl

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Captured Deep Curl

Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Captured Deep Curl

Capture Video

Today i really tried to mess this up, but luck prevailed instead of incompetence. Before i shot the jugs, i shot paper to see where the bullet was hitting out there around 200 yard. This showed me it was hitting about 11" low. The rifle used was an X7 with a 4x scope. The load was 115g BH, 300g Deep Curl, Crush Rib sabot, and a W209 primer. I forgot to measure the exact range, but am guessing it was about 202 yard or so.

Then i set the jugs on the horse, and backed them with the phone book stack. There was a bleach bottle, windshield washer solution bottle, and a milk jug. The bleach bottle seemed like it was about a foot tall. Put the camera on the tripod, and started it running. Drove back out to 200 yard,and aimed above the jug some, intending for the bullet to hit near the middle of the jug. Forgot that the horse was standing further away than the paper target had been. The jugs were probably near 205 yard, and the bullet almost missed too low.

I couldn't find the bullet when i drove back to the jugs. All 3 jug had holes in and out. I thought it was in the phone book stack, but it wasn't. Some study led me to believe the bullet bounced off the phone book, and i thought it should be in the milk jug. It wasn't there, and i looked, and looked, and looked for it, but i couldn't find it. I was sad!

I gave up, and decided to come back tomorrow with a metal detector. When i got home, i ate lunch, and edited the pictures and video.

Two mornings ago, it was -15 at dawn. Yesterday it was -13 at dawn. Today when i finished working the pictures, the thermometer read 44 degrees, and the sun was shining; i decided to grab the metal detector, and go look for the bullet. As i drove the 17 mile, i mused that the snow might be melted enough, i would be able to see the bullet. Well, well, the bullet was visible in the snow right where the milk jug was laying after the shoot.

The bullet now weighs 300.9g. I guess there may be some debris in the 'curl', but i can't see it.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man, that's dedication Ron. Excellent report & video. What more could you ask from a bullet? (Good shooting too!)

I guess one day I'll have to try Blackhorn in my X7. It sure does love those 300 grain Deep Curls with GOEX. Is it possible that BH will do better?
Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn good report," price vs performance" the DC's may well be the best bullet on the market.i will be testing the .452 300 gr DC's, with a crushed rib this weekend.what did you bait that trap with lol! Ray
Old 02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sure is a pretty bullet.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice video as always. Thats how a bullet should look. I ordered some Lehigh's and the breaking pedals still has me a little worried. So for now I'm sticking with GoldDots
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Great video. That bullet sure did as advertised. I just bought about 200 speer 357 mag bullets with the deep curl bullet. I can't believe you found it.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

Fill me in here. That is a pistol bullet right? So it is made for lower velocities? Since you were shooting at 200 yards it would have much less velocity than at 100 yards. Have you shot one at 100 yards or less? Does it perform as well?

That is awesome performance and if it can do that inside 100 yards where all of my shots are taking I would be very interested in seeing how my guns shoots them.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee
Fill me in here. That is a pistol bullet right? So it is made for lower velocities? Since you were shooting at 200 yards it would have much less velocity than at 100 yards. Have you shot one at 100 yards or less? Does it perform as well?

That is awesome performance and if it can do that inside 100 yards where all of my shots are taking I would be very interested in seeing how my guns shoots them.
Here are pictures of the same bullet after it was shot through water jugs at around 60'. The load was 105g BH. The muzzle velocity was measured at 1855 fps. That bullet weighed 262.4g when recovered.

Here is a deer killed at about 60 yard, with the same bullet/load, and the same rifle, on November 18, 2010. Note the entrance and exit holes are about 2".

Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

WOW, awesome performance. Bet there was adequate blood trail. My gun likes the .250gr, recently picked up some .300gr, look forward to shooting them...when I can get to the range. Great pictures/video.

Last edited by smokey92; 02-03-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ADVWannabee

Look up the information on the speer web site as to how these bullets are made.speer sales the plain jane jacketed bullets, similar to others on the market. the electo plating process along with the "dot" of this bullet control expansion. 10 yds or 150 yds or more as long as you have enough energy for it to expand.Sabotloader calls them a poor mans nosler,and his description is spot on. Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.