HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Advice from the "Pros" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/339042-advice-pros.html)

Michael396 01-25-2011 07:53 AM

Advice from the "Pros"

Have any of you had success with recommendations from guys like Randy Wakeman or Toby Bridges? When I decided to try muzzleloading, I found a website with a ton of info from Randy Wakeman. I have tried all of the products that he has recommended with not so good results. This is not a personal slam against these guys but the best advice has come from this forum. Now let me hear your opinions.

nchawkeye 01-25-2011 08:15 AM

Honestly, this won't go well...

How about if you have specific questions, ask, and let's discuss...I hate seeing where guys bash others and that's where it will head...

I don't know any of those guys personally and I started with muzzleloaders back in the 70s so I was pretty well set in my ways before the internet got started...

I will say, most hunting shows, websites and magazines have gotten to where they are marketing certain products...It doesn't work for a fellow like me who bases his decisions on what he has seen or experienced in the past...

But, I guess these guys need to make a living and this is the way they choose to do so...

I've got muzzleloading magazines from the 70s and 80s with one of these guys standing beside game he took with a patched round ball and yet today he claims they aren't effective...Well, I was also hunting with a patch and ball in the 70s and still do so every year...I continue to put deer in the freezer with a flinter and patched ball...So that's where I stand...

Frankly, I'd rather ask these guys on here and make up my mind what product to try...

Michael396 01-25-2011 08:24 AM

I don't want this to turn into a bash fest at all. I am trying to find out if the advice from these guys or others lime them is correct or if they are just pushing product for sponsors. As a new person to this sport, I don't like buying things that won't help if it is not needed. The advice I have received from the people on this forum has worked every time.

Semisane 01-25-2011 08:33 AM

Well, there are a lot of products out there and people are paid to push them. That's Capitalism. But when you really think about it, when it comes to muzzleloading you can do most of what needs done with soap and water, olive oil, Crisco, fabric from local stores, etc.

falcon 01-25-2011 08:41 AM

The vast majority of the "experts" are in someone's pockets. Manufacturers require their "experts" to hype their products to the exclusion of like products made by someone else.

Now, i don't care if the "experts" talk their products up, that's their job: However, when they badmouth products that work for me, i just ignore them and all their advice.

flounder33 01-25-2011 08:43 AM

I think a lot of these guys have some good advice but you have to learn to separate the bs. I think you can learn more from these forums but you need to separate the bs here too.

Michael396 01-25-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 3763600)
Well, there are a lot of products out there and people are paid to push them. That's Capitalism. But when you really think about it, when it comes to muzzleloading you can do most of what needs done with soap and water, olive oil, Crisco, fabric from local stores, etc.

When you are new to the sport you don't know these things. I am compensated to promote certain products in the archery industry but I don't connect myself with products that don't work. I have left sponsors for coming out with products that don't work or deliver as promised.

I think I may have worded my original post wrong. I basically want to know if anyone has had success with some of these products recommended by the pros. After reading some articles by Randy Wakeman, I purchased Barnes bullets. Barnes makes a great product and they have great customer service, but they didn't work in my particular gun, which Mr. Wakeman also recommended. The folks at Barnes helped me get the right bullet for my gun. Then I found this sight and found out that each gun is different and was told to try some other products that worked even better. ALL of the advice I have received here has worked.

Michael396 01-25-2011 08:57 AM

Falcon and Flounder33

That is what I am looking for. I don't like it when they say bad stuff about competitors products either. When you are new to something, it is almost impossible to separate the BS from fact. If I would have found this site first, I would not be shooting a Pro Hunter. I would more than likely have a Knight LRH. I am trying to get better with the muzzleloaders but it is hard when you don't know anything about them. I am not a gun type of guy. I am an archer and most of what I know about does not apply here. I learn more from the posts here than any other place.

MountainDevil54 01-25-2011 09:48 AM

No 2 guns will shoot a like so you basically just have to choose a starting point and test.

i rarely read those 2 writers basically due to them just mentioning the product they're using in 3 lines and then wondering all over the place. Thats why i cant even read outdoor hunting magazines anymore, they wonder all over the place.

builder459 01-25-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Michael396 (Post 3763578)
Have any of you had success with recommendations from guys like Randy Wakeman or Toby Bridges? When I decided to try muzzleloading, I found a website with a ton of info from Randy Wakeman. I have tried all of the products that he has recommended with not so good results. This is not a personal slam against these guys but the best advice has come from this forum. I believe these so called "Pros" are nothing more than product pimps. Now let me hear your opinions.

Both of the individuals you mention have some very informative information.exactly what products that either has mentioned not worked so well for you? wakeman has some real good testing results on all kinds of various muzzleloader products as does toby. do they personally prefer some over others? of course.. don't you...Wakeman speaks highly of Barnes bullets as do many professionals and non professionals.IMHO they are numero uno in the M/L bullet arena, i also like the gold dot/ deep curl bullets.will either of those 2 gentlemen recommend a CVA? nope, but that's there choice.