Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Silver Solder - A Question For You Gunsmiths >

Silver Solder - A Question For You Gunsmiths

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Silver Solder - A Question For You Gunsmiths

Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for all of the input guys. Doing the least possible harm makes sense, so a slight shortning of the screws and Locktite will be it for now. My brother-in-law recommended putting dog poop between the barrel and lugs which he says will stick to anything.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
........................ My brother-in-law recommended putting dog poop between the barrel and lugs which he says will stick to anything.
Yer wife's brother? Why does she think you're nuts?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

There is a type of locktite made for retaining bearing repair sleeves that I would venture to say is going to be nearly as permanent as silver solder, nothing short of heating it to glowing red will weaken it!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

http://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Loctit...4.html?feed=pn

that one
Old 01-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Semi-If you are going to use locktite 640,Loosen the screws and apply it between the block and barrel.you will have to use the primer on stainless.DO NOT GET IT ON THE THREADS if you ever want to loosen them.I used this stuff on bearing repair sleeves on web presses.It is awsome stuff when applied properly.Cleanliness is important.No trace of oil at all.

Charlie
Old 01-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now that is interesting stuff Josh. I've never seen it before. It sure looks like an inexpensive and simple permanent fix. I've copied that data sheet to my How To & References file. If the blue Loctite doesn't do the job that stuff is going to get the nod.

Hey Chasam, thanks for the advice. Is that stuff thin like water, thick like cream, or even thicker like a light grease?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

it's just a shade thicker than water so be careful
Old 01-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wonder, could it be used to mount a scope base on a barrel without drilling and tapping screw holes? Does it act like an epoxy and actually bind metal that way?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Spike

There is a loctite product called bearing mount. It is to keep a pressed on bearing in place. The stuff is amazing. I would do as the others said and shorten the screws. Apply Blue or the Green loctite if you can find it to the screws and put the bearing mount on the lug. I had the same type of problem on my Triumph and this helped clear it up. To find these types of loctite products you will need to go to a fastiner distributor like Fastenall or Lawson
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I ignored this thread at first since I did not think it applied (silver solder?) to me. But I have an X7 and have experienced the same problem with the barrel lug's T8 screws comming loose, so this is a lot of help.

One question regarding using loctite. When I shoot in the summer, my barrel can get pretty darn HOT. With this effect the holding ability of the various types of loctite?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.