Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Talk to me about Knight BP Rifles >

Talk to me about Knight BP Rifles

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Talk to me about Knight BP Rifles

Old 01-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Talk to me about Knight BP Rifles

Considering adding a new ML for my son and I. Currently I shoot a TC Omega and am very happy with it. I am considering adding a Knight Extreme....maybe not the new one to be released but some of the "new old stock" from sources such as Gunbroker.

My questions mainly concern the DISC system. Is this system fairly weather proof like my Omega? How much blowback is there? What is the Lehigh conversion I hear so much about? How are these rifles to clean?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Knight has tested the DISC system in some pretty intense conditions and it passed the tests pretty well. Including submerging the DISC in water. Im a bit skeptical of doing that but for hunting, its probably just fine. They have some blowby but are easy to handle in the field.

I prefer the Lehigh conversion. It uses just a bare primer breach plug and an adapter in the bolt to replace the FPJ (DISC). It seals blowby extremely well and works great with BP or subs including BH209. The flash hole is also replaceable with something called a vent liner although to my knowledge no one has worn out a Lehigh liner in the conversion yet.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are a good rifle as a rule. In my opinion the draw backs to my Big Horn are that it is very dirty and must strip the bolt and mechanism to clean every time it is shot and that the bolt type action takes away quite a bit of space that would be better use by more barrel length. Each gun is different but my Triumph is 100% clean and slightly more accurate.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with what LEE has said, i also own a Triumph and the primer is completely sealed from the elements, no blow by whatsoever and extremely accurate.i have stated in the past Knight had most of the ingredients to compete in the M/L market. Quality barrels, quality stocks, especially there synthetic stocks,offered rifles with quality adjustable triggers.they couldn't seem to move away from the dirty plastic discs and primer holders, which ads additional cost to shooting the rifle and frankly are a mess.i really thought they would offer a new break action type rifle this time around. they seem to be stuck on bolt guns still and the old plunger action, both reliable but old school technology. there offering several bolt guns now and only one has a bare primer ignition system( mountaineer) which i am waiting to see the reviews on.hopefully it's ignition system will be clean and reliable, if so i would really like to have one,even more so if they offered it with a synthetic stock. Ray
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
They are a good rifle as a rule. In my opinion the draw backs to my Big Horn are that it is very dirty and must strip the bolt and mechanism to clean every time it is shot and that the bolt type action takes away quite a bit of space that would be better use by more barrel length. Each gun is different but my Triumph is 100% clean and slightly more accurate.
I am very happy with my Omega but my son(or me) will need another muzzleloader to hunt with. I was just thinking of being a little different with the Knight.

I have never shot a Triumph but they do feel good in the store.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
I have to agree with what LEE has said, i also own a Triumph and the primer is completely sealed from the elements, no blow by whatsoever and extremely accurate.i have stated in the past Knight had most of the ingredients to compete in the M/L market. Quality barrels, quality stocks, especially there synthetic stocks,offered rifles with quality adjustable triggers.they couldn't seem to move away from the dirty plastic discs and primer holders, which ads additional cost to shooting the rifle and frankly are a mess.i really thought they would offer a new break action type rifle this time around. they seem to be stuck on bolt guns still and the old plunger action, both reliable but old school technology. there offering several bolt guns now and only one has a bare primer ignition system( mountaineer) which i am waiting to see the reviews on.hopefully it's ignition system will be clean and reliable, if so i would really like to have one,even more so if they offered it with a synthetic stock. Ray
I may look into the Triumph. It would probably be a good compliment to my Omega.

I'm a big fan of laminate stocks and have to admit those Knights sure do look good on their website!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
I may look into the Triumph. It would probably be a good compliment to my Omega.

I'm a big fan of laminate stocks and have to admit those Knights sure do look good on their website!
The T/C impact is getting good reviews also.the laminates are definitely eye candy lol. Ray