Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do I get the breech plug off? >

How do I get the breech plug off?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do I get the breech plug off?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Spike

Default How do I get the breech plug off?

I have an old T/C Hawken barrel that I need to get the breech plug off, how do I do that with out messing up the barrel. it needs to be refinished so I'm not worried about the finish.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Dominant Buck

The Hawkins breech plug does not come off. And yes, I know many many years ago, they made a tool to take off the breech plug. But that was short lived, and people were normally advised not to do it. If you really want the breech plug off, then take it to a gun smith. Although they might tell you that they will not attempt the job.

That is the disadvantage of the traditional rifles. The breech plug is stuck. So you have to do your work from the muzzle end down. Can I ask, why you feel the need to take it off?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a OLD TC and I got the BP Off because the person I got it from gave it too me bacause he got a Ball and a Ball Puller stuck and broke off in it. I put the Barrel in a Vice and with a pair of Vice Grips with a towel wrapped around them and some Brute Strength I got that sucker off. It was'nt pretty and I left a few marks on the BP, but if it went on, it'll come off. Now Im not saying it'll work with all BP's but it did on this one and Im sure it was'nt ment to ever come off.
(BP)
Old 01-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Some rifles even spot weld them I was told. Whether that is true I can not say. I know when I was talking to a technician at T/C one time about removing the breech plug, he told me under no circumstances should I attempt that. Which was good advice. I took it to a gun smith and he would not do it either. So I still have that barrel.

The funny thing is I lapped that barrel and it actually turned out to be a good shooter.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:52 AM
Spike

The barrel has a bullet and a bullet puller stuck in it. I though about heating it to melt the bullet out. If i am careful about only heating it to around 900 degrees it shouldm't hurt the temper of the barrel.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Fork Horn

I would heat the barrel as a last resort, if it doesn't work, the barrel is junk.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some time you can not if it is one of the old el cheapo's and has brazing or spot welds locking it in place.
TC has never done that kind of thing that I know of. I have take several off and it can be difficult. The way I go about it is with a large vise with low gearing that has slip over brass covers for the jaws and a two foot pipe wrench that also has brass covers for the jaws I pour the barrel about half full of a good rust breaking penetrating oil or Evapo-Rust and let it soak for a couple of days the lock it strongly in the vise and put the pipe wrench on the breach plug and turn it in the right direction [right to left for a TC] that normally takes care of it.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there powder in the breech now? If not, have you tried taking the nipple off andputting a small ammount of powder in there and shooting it out? If you do that make sure it is pushed all the way down.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

easy fix: call t/c @ they tell what has to done and return it to them
The shipping cost itwell worthit save you a lot of sweat :I had a base mount screw stuck on a thunderhawk :I could of did the job
I think it ran 8.00 bucks to ship it to them:The best 8.00 bucks spent
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Spike

All tc toucholes are 1/4 28 threads so you could get a 1/4 28 grease fitting and use a grease gun to get it out.

Stan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.