Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Flint niping

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use leather to hold my flint in the jaws. Some people use a flattened lead ball.
I find lead holds the flint *a lot* tighter than leather. For me this has meant more sparks and easier knapping - the leather being softer than lead acted almost like a shock absorber.

If you use leather to hold your flint try lead and see if that does not help things. It is very easy to do. What I do is place a round ball on concrete and flatten it with an engineers hammer (use a regular hammer if that is all you have). Experiment to determine how thin you need to pound the ball. You want it thin enough so you can wrap it around the flint but not so thin that the lead breaks or there is not enough to hold the flint. Use snips cut out a rectangular piece of lead the same width as the flint and long enough to wrap around the flint - the same size and shape as you would use for leather. Tighten. Here is where things get interesting. Lead being a soft metal it will need a bit of time to take to the shape of your flint and the ridges along the inside of the c0ck jaws - "jimps" I believe they are called. Position the flint where you want it and do a first tightening with the lead. Wait about an hour and re-tighten. The flint should be held very tightly at this point. Try some (unloaded!) test fires with no powder in the pan, you should be getting more sparks. You should also find it much easier to knap using the method Cayugad and others described.

Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:30 AM
Spike

I use both english and cut agate. Lately the cut agates though. I work in a metal shop that has a diamond wheel on a grinder so I have figured out what like to use. I can get 30 or so shots out of one before I change it out. Use a dust mask if you grind on agate, it's not good to breathe the dust.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I tried the lead cover VS the leather. It seemed with the lead, the flint was always coming loose. It was frustrating actually, you'd shoot a few rounds and then the lead would turn in the jaws. I just have much better luck with leather. Perhaps I am making that lead too thin. How thin do you make the lead cover?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps I am making that lead too thin. How thin do you make the lead cover?
Unfortunately it is one of those things you have to experiment with. Thick enough to grab hold of the flint but not so thick that you cannot wrap the lead around the flint or the screw is not long enough to properly tighten the jaws. About the same thickness as your leather should be a good starting point.

Another benefit I found when using lead is that my flints held up longer. With leather the flints would always chip. With the lead not only did I get better sparks but because the flint was held more firmly it did not chip as badly or as quickly.

I no longer use leather if it can be avoided.