Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles new lineup is online >

Knight Rifles new lineup is online

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles new lineup is online

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
I think you are missing the point on the disc. It is open to blowback and you can't use BH209 powder with them. I have a NEF Sidekick that uses a similar primer holder and has an open breach plug. Until I upgraded my bp, I couldn't use BH209. Since using my new bp, my Sidekick is a more effective ML. I am using 95 grs. of BH209 and a Hornaday XTP sabot and getting great results. Oh and because the new bp is a of closed construction, it is very clean to shoot.

At least this has been my experience.

You may be correct. I may be missing the point. I can't argue with that.

But in all honesty I have no use for BH-209 powder. I admit I have never tried it. But I know alot of guys who have used it. And have spoken to alot of guys who have tried it. Their comments on the powder are mixed at best. Just like T-7. and I have sworn off of that stuff.

Personally I like to shoot my MZ. And I like to shoot my MZ's as affordably as I can. Sometimes you might find the BH powder on sale. But normally it is $25 to $30 for a package that is not even a pound. I pay less than that for a full pound of black powder. Actualy much less.

I can keep my bullets in the 10 ring out to 250 yards with BP. What can BH do that BP can't do?? For half the price. Sorry but again, I am just not buying into the hype.

Some people have to have the newest new fangled thing that comes down the road. Personally when I find something that works I stick with it until someone proves the other product as superior. And from my research I can not see where the results I have seen in any way show BH powder as superior. Unless we go back to the save 2 or 3 minutes in cleaning time scenario?? Just an opinion.

Here is what I really think. Everyone is searching for the magic powder or the magic bullet to make the MZ's more accurate, more deadly, or more what ever. I am not talking about alot of you guys here, but there is no magic powder, their is no magic bullet. Mfrs. are trying to make things simpler so more shooters will take up MZ. they make it seem so simple. Just do this, and this, and this and kill deer to 200 yards.

The problem is that it is not that simple. It takes years of practice and knowledge to cut the 10 ring at 250 yards. And IMO the easiest way to do it is with good old BP and a conical poured lead bullet(shooting 100's if not 1,000's of them). Wow what a thought?? The mfrs. sure don't want you to do that!! Where's the profit!! How are they going to sell their magic bullet for $1.00 a piece or more. I basically pour mine for free after I pay for the mold. Just ask Corey. He looks like he is having a ball with his new found sport.Tom.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

HEAD0001,I agre with you, BP are more stable than BP sub.
The only reason I shoot T-7 is that my wife can't stand the sulfer odor while cleaning my rifle .I live in a mobil home so there is no alternative : Her or the BPsub
Taureau noir
Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I swore I had to have a Pro Hunter. And I still may end up with one. But I keep ending up on the Knight website staring at the Mountaineer. And the wife was just sitting next me and saw and said "Oh, that one looks nice. It looks pretty expensive though. Can you get it cheaper anywhere?" So I may have to wait until May and see what they go for in stores.
Has anyone pre-ordered one yet?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I swore I had to have a Pro Hunter. And I still may end up with one. But I keep ending up on the Knight website staring at the Mountaineer. And the wife was just sitting next me and saw and said "Oh, that one looks nice. It looks pretty expensive though. Can you get it cheaper anywhere?" So I may have to wait until May and see what they go for in stores.
I also like the looks of the mountaineer, i am a little confused as to the priming system though. it states bare primer, then lists the red 209 jackets as a accessory. the fully adjustable trigger is a excellent feature, as is the GMB barrel and the 200 yd accuracy statement.i also wonder about it's reliability with BH 209 powder.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I have to agree with you on it, that gun is really nice. I have thought about getting one but I'm thinking about seeing where the price comes in at dealers. If I put the Lehigh conversion in my Disc Extreme MHC it is almost the same, but I don't care, I like it and I may have to have one!!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
I have to agree with you on it, that gun is really nice. I have thought about getting one but I'm thinking about seeing where the price comes in at dealers. If I put the Lehigh conversion in my Disc Extreme MHC it is almost the same, but I don't care, I like it and I may have to have one!!
Is the mountaineer equipped with the lehigh conversion? clean and no red 209 jacket? Ray
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
Is the mountaineer equipped with the lehigh conversion? clean and no red 209 jacket? Ray
The way I understand it from Knight, is they will come ready to shoot a bare primer no red jacket is need, but if you want to shoot the jacket you can buy a conversion kit to do that with.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onetohunt
The way I understand it from Knight, is they will come ready to shoot a bare primer no red jacket is need, but if you want to shoot the jacket you can buy a conversion kit to do that with.
So i take that to mean, it indeed comes with the lehigh conversion, which would be fantastic. and no i would not buy any rifle for that price requiring a disc or red primer lol. i wish the mountaineer came with a synthetic stock.i always felt Knight synthetic stocks were top notch and superior to all the other M/L company's offerings.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by builder459
I am really trying to stay out of this discussion as my disappointments would become way to visible...

But, the Mountaineer will not have what we think of as the Lehigh conversion. It will have a complety new bolt and bare primer breech plug (probably built by Lehigh - i say probably because so many things that I thought were coming are not), which I am being told is not backwards compatible.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I am really trying to stay out of this discussion as my disappointments would become way to visible...

But, the Mountaineer will not have what we think of as the Lehigh conversion. It will have a complety new bolt and bare primer breech plug (probably built by Lehigh - i say probably because so many things that I thought were coming are not), which I am being told is not backwards compatible.
Sabotloader i figured if it is indeed equipped with the bare primer breech plug, that lehigh built it. i hope it is. that is one nice looking rifle. although i wish it came with a synthetic stock option also. thanks for the info.. Ray!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.