Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Cleaning jag cutting into the rifling >

Cleaning jag cutting into the rifling

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning jag cutting into the rifling

Old 01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default Cleaning jag cutting into the rifling

3 of us went out shooting the sidelocks today as its a nice warm 65* day with a light wind.

I noticed an issue in my brothers tighter barreled CVA Hawken .50cal. The loading-cleaning jag is cutting into the rifling. Tried to take some pics because it was cutting in pretty darn good but this camera doesnt take close ups for snot. Have to get new batteries for my older camera that takes great close ups.

Did this a handful days ago but i used gun shield on the jags to keep them from turning green and to wash the fouling off easier. Did 3 coats and put them into the oven for 30 minutes to help set it up firmer and really surprised with how well it did today after 12 reloading shots on dirty bores.

Before shooting,

After 12 shots, theres a tiny piece of American Pioneer powder fouling hanging right off the edge

Woohoooo!! UPS just dropped off bullets. Now the shootin begins!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

The jag you are using is for a 52cal ML.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

If the barrel/bore is quality steel - brass or bronze is not going to mark or scar it. It might leave brass or bronze particles in the bore as the lands shave metall off the jags, but it is not going to occur the other way. Both of the two metals are far softer than steel. The ram rod on the other hand being a high quality stainless steel could in fact wear on the bore.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Banned

well that explains why it was catching the rifling!

I'll swap on another then.

By the way grouse, the loaded-unloaded height indicator was perfect today when shooting pyrodex pellets. I knew right off the bat weather i was off the powder charge or not.