HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Picture of my T/C Shockwave sabot after shot?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/338471-picture-my-t-c-shockwave-sabot-after-shot.html)

mondoman86 01-16-2011 09:16 AM

Picture of my T/C Shockwave sabot after shot??

3 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of one of the t/c 200 grain shockwaves after shooting them. Like I've said in previous posts, I've shot these bullets for 4 or 5 years. I've always had great groups with these bullets until this year. I had bought 2 boxes of shockwaves during the summer. The 2 boxes I had bought will not group. I didn't have a chance to buy anymore boxes of them to see if I just got a couple bad boxes, but here is what the sabot looks like after the shot. I can't remeber my sabots ever looking like this before. What are your thoughts?

Grouse45 01-16-2011 09:19 AM

WOW...Your blowing the cup out of them. What powder and volume load are you using?

cayugad 01-16-2011 09:27 AM

I shoot a lot of the 200 grain Shockwaves because they are so accurate. But I have never seen a sabot that looked like that after the shot. Now I have wings from the sabot missing, but never saw the cup blown out like that.

What kind of powder, and how much are you shooting? Anyone else ever saw that kind of damage to a sabot?

Gm54-120 01-16-2011 10:42 AM

That is a sabot failure for sure. Why?...I dont know without more info. I had the same issue with the Harvester 40x50 CRs and a few bullets if i tried to drive them a little hard (110gr BH209). Many people feel that the Harvesters are tougher than the MMPs but this one seems to be a bit weaker or i got some bad ones.

I didnt get to finish my testing of the MMP 40x50 vs the Harvester before the hunting season so im still not sure.

T/C uses a MMP 40x50 sabot (IIRC) but it may be a bit different than the ones you can get directly from MMP. My best guess is you got a bad batch of sabots or the bullets are slightly different. Maybe they were slightly smaller OD or the base is different?

More load details and shooting conditions would be a big help.

lemoyne 01-16-2011 10:43 AM

I have shot 50/40 sabots for a long time. I have never seen any thing like that.

mondoman86 01-16-2011 11:06 AM

I'm using 2 triple 7 regular pellets, and a winchester triple 7 primer. When I shoot the 240 grain xtp with a harvester crushed rib sabot it shoots great, and the harvester sabot looks like it could be reused.....So I don't understand why it is doing so much damage to the shockwave sabots. Maybe a manufacturing defect??

moridgerunner 01-16-2011 01:43 PM

I have had wads for shotgun shells get hard and brittle from old age, how old are those sabots?

mondoman86 01-16-2011 02:39 PM

I bought them in august of 2010. I was at an outdoor store out of town, and they had them for cheaper than what my local place sells them for. So I bought 2 boxes. So there are less than a year old from being bought off the shelf.

nchawkeye 01-16-2011 04:00 PM

If you were just using 2 pellets, you need to send them back to the manufacturer...This way they can test them and see what is the matter...

The only other thing I could think of it that they were in storage in excessive heat before you bought them...