HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Bore Cleaning Solution (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/338391-bore-cleaning-solution.html)

DannyD 01-15-2011 07:11 AM

Bore Cleaning Solution

A buddy tells me he uses 1 part Rubbing Alcohol, 1 Part Hydrogen Peroxide and 1 part Murphy's oil soap.

Anyone using it? Does this sound like it could work well?

Thanks
Dan

lemoyne 01-15-2011 07:21 AM

Does it sound like it would clean? Yes
Would I use it? Probably not.
Reasoning: Both alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can cause flash rust. I have no idea if Murphy's oil soap can nullify this characteristic.

sabotloader 01-15-2011 07:30 AM

DannyD

Why not just use plain old blue Windex to clean with and then oil with a good synthetic bore oil...

cayugad 01-15-2011 07:32 AM

The solution is commonly called M.A.P. (murphy's oil soap, alcohol, and hydrogen peroxide). When I make it, I mix 10% M - 45% A - 45% P. Now some will make it 20-40-40 but I just see no need for all that soap. Alcohol alone will clean a gun rather nice. In most cases, simple water with a squirt of dish soap will clean most fouling out of a barrel real well.

I also heard about the flash rust theory, but I have been told by hard core MAP users that it is false. That they clean their rifles all the time with it, and never experienced flash rust. I have used it and never experienced flash rust, but I never leave it in my rifle for any length of time either. I clean with it, wipe it out, and then oil the bore.

scottycoyote 01-15-2011 08:09 AM

i use it, i think the recipe i found added 1 part water too......im new to it but so far so good

Nimrodder 01-15-2011 08:56 AM

Ive used it for over 5 years and have never gotten flash rust. I've only heard this from people who do not use it. In my opinion it works better than Windex for T7 and black powder.

Nimrodder 01-15-2011 08:59 AM

Just remember you still have to apply oil to your bore after you clean it. Some people are under the impression that the Murphy's oil soap will protect their bore.

WV54 01-15-2011 11:34 AM

What I thought was a clean gun.Until I tried Ballistol.Then seven Dark rusty brown patches with Ballistol later. Hot soapy water & rinse then a light coat of Ballistol.I will check the bore in a couple of weeks to see if the Ballistol works.

50calty 01-15-2011 04:16 PM

Now I have a question. Is the reason that you guys oil the barrel afterwards is because of the humid climate? I dont know anybody in MT that oil their barrel. Clean it, dry the barrel, and wipe the gun down. Thats it.

DannyD 01-16-2011 06:39 AM

Thanks Guys for all the info

Ive been using the alcohol and windshield wiper fluid (50/50) with good results. I always wipe clean then oil for storage.