Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
1st MLer! does anyone know what grain bullet I am shooting? >

1st MLer! does anyone know what grain bullet I am shooting?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1st MLer! does anyone know what grain bullet I am shooting?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
The new Powerbelt Aerolites are awesome for retaining weight. The older ones shoot excellent but can shed weight pretty quickly, i use them all and dont have any fear of losing an animal.

Someone here just shot a deer with a barnes and didnt get a blood trail, along with another using a Speer gold dot and not getting a blood trail.
(Cough) The member here who just shot the deer with the barnes took a 200 yd shot with a .250 gr Barnes and only 100 gr powder charge. i wouldn't expect any .250 gr bullet not to exit! maybe a 300 gr bullet. as the member stated the terminal damage turned everything to jello.and the gold dot that that your mentioning hit bone going in and out,also turning everything to jello.if either of those deer had been shot with a PB. i am sure both outcomes would have been quite different lol.as for the new PB super bullet, have you or anyone you know actually shot any game with them? or are you just quoting powerbelts sales pitch?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by builder459
(Cough) The member here who just shot the deer with the barnes took a 200 yd shot with a .250 gr Barnes and only 100 gr powder charge. i wouldn't expect any .250 gr bullet not to exit! maybe a 300 gr bullet. as the member stated the terminal damage turned everything to jello.and the gold dot that that your mentioning hit bone going in and out,also turning everything to jello.if either of those deer had been shot with a PB. i am sure both outcomes would have been quite different lol.as for the new PB super bullet, have you or anyone you know actually shot any game with them? or are you just quoting powerbelts sales pitch?
Typo i would expect any .250 gr bullet "not to exit", with load and a 200 yd shot.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

my bro in law used a 250gr thor with only 105gr pyrodex rs and at 175 yards the deer dropped in its tracks with a big puddle of blood under it.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

my bro in law used a 250gr thor with only 105gr pyrodex rs and at 175 yards the deer dropped in its tracks with a big puddle of blood under it.
Imagine that a thor is a BARNES lmao!Thor,Barnes,Deep curl. want me to go, all superior bullets compared to a PB..fact not fiction.why encourage someone to use a Expensive bottom of the barrel performing bullet when there are far better choices.we been over this..it's just not good for the sport and especially people new to it.. nuff said..
Old 01-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

you sure like to ride me a lot dont you? One of these days i may just turn around and tell you that you owe me some dinner afterward.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

you sure like to ride me a lot dont you? One of these days i may just turn around and tell you that you owe me some dinner afterward.
Nothing personal,anyone giving bias information and suggesting poor quality/ expensive bullets or any other product, i would be all over them also Ray
Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

i like having my ear lobes rubbed as well
Old 01-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot 2 Deer that I can remember that were in the 180-200yd range that had complete pass throughs (Lung Area) that were shot with a 240gr XTP and 110gr's of Pyro RS. Now I suspect if I would have hit the Shoulder Bone or the opposite Shoulder on exit I may have not had a complete pass through. Bone takes a-lot of energy (what's left of it) away from a Bullet at those long yardages.
Now as far as Powerbelts, I have only tried them one time because I did'nt know any better, I figured if CVA recommended them then I might as well give em a shot. I shot them at a Target only, never on a Deer. They were ok accurate but the Price of them convinced me to find a better cheaper choice wich I did in the XTP. The XTP shot the Best out of all My CVA's so that's the one I stayed with and Im glad I did. Now if I were new to MLing and on this Forum and had the advice then that I did'nt have, I would have definately taken the advice of the experienced shooters that recommended me to try something better than the Powerbelt.
But if they work for you and you have never had a problem with them, then use them, it's your choice. Advice is just that, and it's up to the individual to either take it or not. Just remember the old line ( I told you so) That's what this Forum is all about (Advice)
(BP)
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Holy cow did I open up a can of worms! I just wanted to now if anyone knew the grain bullet I was shooting, i plan on putting a scope on it and trying it out at 100 yards. I was planning on trying several bullets and sticking with the one that gave me the best group. i just bought the kit because it came with all the accessories I needed and I figured it wouldnt take very long to go through 16 bullets at the range.

Just a side note it seems like bullets are similar to broadheads on archery forums, everytime you bring one up your gonna get some people that passionately hate a particular brand and some people that love them.

It does say however on powerbelts website that you are not supposed to get a pass through, and that most people who have had bad experiences with them where shooting 150 grains of pellets when they recommend only shooting 100 grains.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i like having my ear lobes rubbed as well
sorry MD not into that and even if i was your far to narrow for my liking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.